Buying a house with no driveway

HouseHunter2016

I have been looking to buy a house in Dublin (Cabra/Phibsboro/Santry) over the last few months. One thing I have noticed is some houses have created a driveway by knocking the front garden wall and getting the pavement 'dished' by Dublin City Council. I've read an information leaflet on the Council's website and understand that this requires planning permission, and that it isn't a given that you will get permission.

My query is, when buying a house how can you know if you will get permission to do this? If the vendor had previously applied and was refused, can this be found out in advance?

In one house in particular, the neighbour on one side has it done, also two doors up has it done too, as do 3 houses directly across the street. If having your own driveway (in the long-term) was a deal-breaker would you have to let the house go?

Last edited:
My tenant is now using the front garden as a parking spot. Suits me as when enough years have gone by it will be planning exempt and that's the end of the matter. He's there about 5 years so I'm well on the way.

Personally I wouldn't apply for pp as I'd not want to be turned down. But it's crazy really as there are so many cars now that in the street I'm talking about people are stressed out about parking. It wouldn't stop me buying the house, which is your question.

In that case I would let it go and look for a semi-d with a driveway (ideally that could park two or more cars).
Thanks, I guess it'll be a judgement call in the end. Sadly semi-d's that have this done are out of our budget so far, as once they've done this they have also had other works done which raises the price. Two or more cars would be much more than we need(!).

Trying to get a vendor who wants to sell to a 2nd time buyer is also very difficult, but that's a story for another thread.

If plenty of the neighbours have sought and been granted permission for their retro-fit driveways, then there's a better change yours will be approved.

The risk with the unauthorised approach is even if you get to keep it beyond the enforcement period, it will still be unauthorised development and should be flagged by any decent solicitor acting for a purchaser, or their lenders who are getting fussier about compliance. Also, if you or subsequent owners were to seek planning for any other work, the presence of unauthorised development will complicate matters. The LA can insist that the driveway be removed and wall/ entrance be restored to original before considering any further development.

I know they can, but have they ever?

Articles I've read on the matter (such as this and this for example) suggest they do:

Any future alterations or extensions to the development or other statutory applications will almost certainly require the rectification of planning status of the existing development.

The rectification of an unauthorised development can be done in two ways: the first is the correction of the relevant non compliance or the receipt of a subsequent permission for the retention of the unauthorised structure.

The latter option of a retention application comes with no comfort of success and, even if it is successful, it can be expensive and can result in further onerous conditions.

Back