Buy to let (cash) in Ballymun

I'd love to know the non payment percentage of rents to councils, and if they can't collect their rents how are you going to do it? People renting are very savvy in knowing what the house owner can and can't do and any individual thinking they can just go, buy a house/apt, then rent it out and live happily ever after is living in cuckoo land. If I had €200k in my back pocket the last thing i'd do is buy a property for rent in any part of Ireland. Don't go asking me why, just go and do it and you'll find out soon enough.

John1648;
Of course there are other costs and risks too; incl. the non-payment of the rent portion by the HAP beneficiary.

That's minor if the tenant doesn't pay the council their portion. If that happens the council do not pay you anything!! Then try getting them out, good luck with that too.

I was told that a young mother on HAP is usually a good tenant, no arrears, all in the hope of getting council housing, not risking it by playing tricks.

Does this info I have quoted above make sense?

Poster has several very long running threads on boards with same queries and changes the locations.

Tallaght, citywest, ballymun, Balbriggan.

My guess is Enfield will be the next town.

8% gross....6%net with no leverage attached to lever the returns......... just buy Altria, British American Tobacco stock.......8% gross quarterly paid dividend right there.....don't worry about getting the rent paid every month.........smokers always pay the nicotine rent on time........& Altria won't call you at 4am to tell you the toaster isn't working :)

I was told that a young mother on HAP is usually a good tenant, no arrears, all in the hope of getting council housing, not risking it by playing tricks.

Does this info I have quoted above make sense?
With respect, you make no sense at all. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc etc. As for other countries offering the yield you talk about, or higher, why don't you open a deposit a/c in Turkey. They'll pay you anything from 15% to 20% per annum for your money, you'll just have to change it into Turkish Lira and you're up and running :cool:

Last edited:
With respect, you make no sense at all. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc etc. As for other countries offering the yield you talk about, or higher, why don't you open a deposit a/c in Turkey. They'll pay you anything from 15% to 20% per annum for your money, you'll just have to change it into Turkish Lira and you're up and running :cool:

of, course, all is with due respect.

Same - here.

I quoted somebody else and I have asked whether this makes sense. You then tell me that I do not make any sense.

Hmmm, why this emotional charge in a discussion on cold money matters?

Anyway, appreciate your insights, and long experience in being a landlord, from what I understand.

However, I fail to deduce the point you are making with Turkey. Do you make the analogy between banking sector risks in Turkey - equating it with the risks of being a landlord with HAP tenants in Ballymun? Or are you strengthening my argument that 6% net rental income in a stable country like Ireland is a very good deal ?

That is possible and been suggested for some time now but 10 year bond yields have been doing past week or so

Definitely seeing inflation but how/ when that will translate into higher interest rates

What FED and ECB are doing is: keeping low interest rates to make Govt debt serviceable. the rates on the bond markets are then suppressed by the QE. so it is a tandem - QE and low interest rates. As a result - the real rates go negative, as a result of inflation - and the debts remain manageable. They can kick the can for a while longer still... but not beyond a year or two - when the markets catch the game plan and start demanding higher rates - or until a black swan event happens.

Such as e.g. - Chinese navy sink a British warship in the South China sea - next month - for pulling the same trick the UK "Defender" warship did next to Crimea....

Another risk - foreign CBs do not buy US treasuries anymore - all is bought out by FED. If this continues for too long and too high - credibility of USD as a reserve currency will questioned, with unpredictable consequences, triggered by any even minor incident, to be followed by a debacle

With respect, you make no sense at all. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc etc.

I would still appreciate your view on this - "I was told that a young mother on HAP is usually a good tenant, no arrears, all in the hope of getting council housing, not risking it by playing tricks."

I would still appreciate your view on this - "I was told that a young mother on HAP is usually a good tenant, no arrears, all in the hope of getting council housing, not risking it by playing tricks."
It would be politically incorrect of me to say what my view would be. Then again, nothing to stop you from investing in an apartment and renting out to a HAP tenant for a 6% net yield or whatever. You'll get plenty of advice on here, indeed you already have, but at the end of the day it's your money so go play with it and see how easy it is to make 6% net from it. Good luck.

It would be politically incorrect of me to say what my view would be. Then again, nothing to stop you from investing in an apartment and renting out to a HAP tenant for a 6% net yield or whatever. You'll get plenty of advice on here, indeed you already have, but at the end of the day it's your money so go play with it and see how easy it is to make 6% net from it. Good luck.

very useful - I have read a lot in between the lines ! experience speaks ....

8% gross....6%net with no leverage attached to lever the returns......... just buy Altria, British American Tobacco stock.......8% gross quarterly paid dividend right there.....don't worry about getting the rent paid every month.........smokers always pay the nicotine rent on time........& Altria won't call you at 4am to tell you the toaster isn't working :)

I know nothing about any of those companies but its rarely a positive sign for a company when dividend yields are at those levels ?

Well, - I will crack it as it is:

I am afraid of:

- Investing in Ballymun
- Investing in a property with a sitting tenant in Ballymun
- Investing in a property with a HAP tenant
- Being hours away in flight times, from the property
- Buying a "lemon" property, at a steep high in market prices
- Throwing all my current cash savings at such a property

I ended up looking at such a property due to the:

- Fear of missing out on a last train of investment property
- Fear of inflation
- being priced out of other regions / good options, due to - waiting for too long now already

Stocks are likely to fall. If they do fall, property will fall too.

Last edited:
It might have been more useful if at the very start of your thread you had pointed out you are living abroad.

I indeed currently reside abroad; but the plan is to eventually return to the homeland.

Have been away long, so lost a bit the touch with the Irish realities.

Hence, would appreciate your views on the above dilemmas

I indeed currently reside abroad; but the plan is to eventually return to the homeland.

Have been away long, so lost a bit the touch with the Irish realities.

Hence, would appreciate your views on the above dilemmas
You've already been advised. No one can really tell what your level of fear should be. The one thing you can be guaranteed of is that this is not the "last train of investment property".

How much of your net worth will that 200k represent?
How long would it take you to save another 200k?
How much if any do you have invested in stocks?
How much if any do you have invested in pension?
Would you be willing to live there yourself if push came to shove?
How many more years do you think you will be earning income from your job?

Or maybe do a money makeover thread.

I think those sort of questions could help people reason about how wise it is.

If this is your last and only 200k that it might be too risky...

But from your posts you have your eyes fairly wide open as far as I can tell

How much of your net worth will that 200k represent?
How long would it take you to save another 200k?
How much if any do you have invested in stocks?
How much if any do you have invested in pension?
Would you be willing to live there yourself if push came to shove?
How many more years do you think you will be earning income from your job?

Or maybe do a money makeover thread.

I think those sort of questions could help people reason about how wise it is.

If this is your last and only 200k that it might be too risky...

But from your posts you have your eyes fairly wide open as far as I can tell

Thank you SPC100 !

Very useful and rational checklist !

The 200k is 95% of cash / of the most liquid assets I have. I also own a fully paid small apartment in Spain.
It would take me 6-7 years to save another 200 k
I have zero stocks
I have some pension investments, but not much; basically I have already gained the right to a small pension with the UN (the more years you work, the higher it will go, eventually)
If push came to shove - in a tough scenario, I could leave there, in Ballymun myself. Of course, in case if you can evict the tenant. Is a single mother on HAP with a child at all evictable ? Not planning to do it, but just to know.

Posts here seem to be rather fixated on the status of the tenant.

To answer your question re eviction, neither the marital or child status of the tenant is relevant.

If you wish to regain your apartment, you must follow the requirements of the legislation. It's detailed on the PRTB website.

If you want to purchase property for rental, you might do better to buy two units in a smaller city (e.g. Limerick) and somewhat spread your risk, insofar as you are less likely to have voids in both properties at the same time.

Back