Buy Back Service for Parent's Leave

TheJackal

Hoping to take 3 weeks Parent's Leave soon.

As this is not pensionable leave, I am looking to buy back these weeks as service. You have 6 months after return to work to do so.

Just wondering, is tax relief taken at souce by payroll? Or must I pay the gross cost up front and then claim back tax relief of 40% from Revenue after the tax year is over?

Hoping to take 3 weeks Parent's Leave soon.

As this is not pensionable leave, I am looking to buy back these weeks as service. You have 6 months after return to work to do so.

Just wondering, is tax relief taken at souce by payroll? Or must I pay the gross cost up front and then claim back tax relief of 40% from Revenue after the tax year is over?
Just bumping this thread as I’m interested in doing this for unpaid parental leave and just wondering how you got on.

Interested in this as well.

My OH works a 4 day week and takes 1 day as parental leave so her monthly pension contributions are reduced.

Is it possible for her to buy back these days?

Still waiting on HR shared Services to action my request. Been 2 months now so will probably just raise a new ticket.

I'm fairly sure you pay the up front cost in full to payroll and then recoup the Income Tax from Revenue.

For any unpaid leave, such a Shorter Working Year, Career Break and Parent's Leave, you can buy back the service. You must do so no longer than 6 months after returning from that leave. It's not cheap so a few weeks is doable but anything more is v pricey

Still waiting on HR shared Services to action my request. Been 2 months now so will probably just raise a new ticket.

I'm fairly sure you pay the up front cost in full to payroll and then recoup the Income Tax from Revenue.

For any unpaid leave, such a Shorter Working Year, Career Break and Parent's Leave, you can buy back the service. You must do so no longer than 6 months after returning from that leave. It's not cheap so a few weeks is doable but anything more is v pricey
That was the case a couple of years ago for my wife. She paid the gross amount and got the tax back fairly quickly.

Interested in this as well.

My OH works a 4 day week and takes 1 day as parental leave so her monthly pension contributions are reduced.

Is it possible for her to buy back these days?
The amount will be more that the pro rata of the pension that she is paying at the moment. Pension that is not based on actual time worked is a lot more expensive. Your pensions dept should be able to give a quote for the amount.

Back