bump on someone else's car - insurance Q

seaflower

Hi, a friend bumped into a parked car by accident (shallow dent about 3-4 inches), waited for the lady to show up and swapped insurance details with her. The dent is on the door and he has a feeling she would want to change the full door rather than tap it up (who would blame her, if the insurance pays!) The problem is he doesn't want to claim on the insurance as he currently has 5 yr no claim.

Any ideas which one is more reasonable - to pay himself or claim in insurance and suffer huge premium afterwards. For how long will the premium increase and any idea with how much approx? Is there any way he can insist she fixes it instead of changing the car door?

Your friend should call up the insurance company and ask how much his premium will increase, and for how long. It's then simple enough to figure out whether to claim or not.

Most people are reasonable, but there are fewer body shops around these days. I don't think there's a lot your friend can do, if he's paying himself, about whether the door is replaced or not. Talk nicely to her would be my advice.

Does your friend not have a no claim discount protection by any chance?
Worth checking, i think that AXA for instance includes this as standard in their prices.

No claims discount protection
...no claims discount protection for any claim, which usually means the insured can make a maximum number or maximum value of claims within a set period and still maintain their full no claims discount.

tip for readers with full NCB - FBD insurance will fully protect it regardless of number of accidents / value of accidents - this cover will void if you are guilty of criminal act (drink-driving / reckless) - their insurance is just that - cover deisgned to protect you in the event of a genuine accident

PS my only connection with FBD is that both my wife and I are fully comp, full NCB, full bonus protection policy holders.

Bacchus, he already used his one claim for a problem he had with his car. I think he's with Axa and they allow you one claim without affecting your claim free bonus. Will check it out anyway, just in case.

Derryman, what is 'FBD insurance'?

Derryman, sorry, just realised it is the name of the company, not an abbreviation.

(I don't seem to be able to edit posts)

He still hasn't got a quote or an invoice from the other driver. She only called him to let him know she is very busy and will bring the car to the garage whenever she has more time...

Is there any limit on the time he is obliged to wait? Can he push her to give him a quote quicker?? It is just better if it is sored asap.

BTW, the insurance company said that the premium wont go up too much, something to do with 20% no claim (equivalent of 2 years)... not sure what is it all about.

derryman said:
tip for readers with full NCB - FBD insurance will fully protect it regardless of number of accidents / value of accidents - this cover will void if you are guilty of criminal act (drink-driving / reckless) - their insurance is just that - cover deisgned to protect you in the event of a genuine accident

PS my only connection with FBD is that both my wife and I are fully comp, full NCB, full bonus protection policy holders.

Derryman, Are you totally sure about the benefits of this NCB protection?

I agree that it protects you, and it doesn't impact on you if you keep your insurance with FBD in the future after making claims on your policy.

However, when you go to another company, you can't answer in the negative the question "Have you made any insurance claims in the last 3 years?". Yes, you have a NCB for however number of years, but you have made claims on your insurance.

pay up yourself. keep a copy of the letter sending the cheque just in case an injury claim materialises.

If the car was unoccupied when you hit it, than assuming the cost is under €1000, in my view you would be better paying yourself.

The reason being that you can at least maintain a clean record on the incurance company file and you then have the freedom to shop around at next renewal date.

I know that some cmpanies havt the protected NCB, but even though it does not afftec your NCB with that company, you still have made a claim and cannot shop around.

If the claim is for damage only, with no possibility of an injury claim, pay it yourself and keep it secret to you and claimant.

Back