Bullying of small cars.

I know but that black mark is nothing in comparison to the self imposed shame that I am feeling since that view of yours was brought to light... my head is hanging low... so very low...
Console yourself with the knowledge that the people who actually know me put no value on my views.

70km per hour on the m50 is dangerously slow in my opinion particularly at off peak times . I’d suggest driving to the speed limit to avoid such behavior before a car hastily overtakes you resulting in an accident

It's hardly dangerously slow in the 1st lane.

If someone can't overtake on a three lane motorway without doing it "hastily" and having an accident I would question their driving habits.

I drive two different vehicles, a Hyundai i10 and a VW Transporter Van.
I often drive on the M50 at off peak times when the traffic is light.
I typically drive in the left hand lane at 70 to 80 km per hour.
Very often while driving my Hyundai I would have motorists following behind me within a couple of meters from my rear bumper. More often than not these are lorry or van drivers. They look large and threatening behind before overtaking me.
This rarely occurs when I drive the Transporter.
This pattern of behaviour also occurs on suburban roads when I keep to the 50 km speed limit.
Have any other small car drivers noticed this bullying behaviour.

Personally I wouldn't want to going less than 80. But if it's a problem for you on all roads then perhaps you are going slower than you think.

That said you definitely get treated differently depending on the car you drive. Also there a lot of aggressive and bullying behaviour on the roads. Especially by trucks.

Personally I tend to stay in a different lane to trucks and maintain a lot of space in front and behind. I will change lanes away from tailgaters or pull over to let them go ahead. I'll never hold up an impatient driver. I want them in front and away from me.

It's hardly dangerously slow in the 1st lane.

If someone can't overtake on a three lane motorway without doing it "hastily" and having an accident I would question their driving habits.
Ah it is. If you are driving at 70 and the other lanes are moving at 100 then you are causing other drivers to manoeuvre. That is dangerous.

Is that to say you don't stay in the left-most lane except while overtaking?

Depends. I'll move into the middle of where there is a joining lane. The overtaking lane isn't solely overtaking where it meets the M1. It the Malahide and city centre lane.

Depends. I'll move into the middle of where there is a joining lane. The overtaking lane isn't solely overtaking where it meets the M1. It the Malahide and city centre lane.
If you're approaching to a junction entering the dedicated lane that is marked your direction is clearly the way to go, otherwise moving out of the left lane other than to overtake a vehicle already in that lane is actually illegal even if it's just temporarily to make it easier for someone else to merge in.

If you're approaching to a junction entering the dedicated lane that is marked your direction is clearly the way to go, otherwise moving out of the left lane other than to overtake a vehicle already in that lane is actually illegal even if it's just temporarily to make it easier for someone else to merge in.

You're overtaking the merging traffic.

Drive in the UK if you want traffic constantly moving and weaving left. It's exhausting.

The M50 is like the M25 where it's not a pure motorway as lots of joining and leaving. Then the M50 splits so pedantically "stay left" makes no sense. Less so when there's long tailbacks so you get into lane really early. Even in the UK where they mostly obey "stay left" they don't do it where there lots of junctions close together.

But I do own the road ! That's what I pay my tax for... :D

but seriously - referring to all drivers who drive a certain make / model of car as eejits ? If I drove a VW golf estate, I'm not an eejit, but my wife who drives the VW passat, is an eejit :rolleyes: .

It's not fair that you pick only one model of VW & classify them as such, but all the models of BMW and Audi... or maybe I'm just an eejit for replying to this thread :oops:
I have absolutely no doubt that there are a few exceptions to the rule, but does anyone really know anybody who drives an Audi sensibly.? Or a beemer? I'm sure they're out there, somewhere, some place but to me, if someone goes flying past me way over the speed limit and weaving in and out of traffic with, I can only assume, broken indicators as they never seem to work, I can take a fair guess as to what they are driving and it won't be a Yaris. :)

There is actually an arguement for banning cars with powerful engines, from a safety and environmental perspective. Why not make speed limiters mandatory or link fines to the size of the engine, the power of the car and the wallet of the driver. ?

There's a few different type of Audi drivers from safety first to skanger me banger.

If someone has never been fined or caused an accident after many years of driving why should they be restricted? Someone might only drive a large or power car infrequently.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are a few exceptions to the rule, but does anyone really know anybody who drives an Audi sensibly.? Or a beemer? I'm sure they're out there, somewhere, some place but to me, if someone goes flying past me way over the speed limit and weaving in and out of traffic with, I can only assume, broken indicators as they never seem to work, I can take a fair guess as to what they are driving and it won't be a Yaris. :)

There is actually an arguement for banning cars with powerful engines, from a safety and environmental perspective. Why not make speed limiters mandatory or link fines to the size of the engine, the power of the car and the wallet of the driver. ?
I have one of the luxury cars mentioned and you wont find me weaving, speeding, tailgating, bullying or whatever. I will also stop to allow cars turn right, people cross the road, dont run reds, slow down on amber and I use my mirrors and indicators at all times appropriately, and in good time
Just saying... Generalaties are generally incorrect.

I am far from perfect. As a negative, I don't show much tolerance for drivers of any marque of car that are trying to bully me or other motorists, the weaving, speeding and agresive types you mention. For some reason that makes me an even more courteous driver, and more careful of my speed and position on the road.

I see many marques on the road and none of them are unaffected by drivers that show little regard for the rules of the road, or other road users. Its a multi marque problem. Thats a general fact of our roads. Even small cars with low power can be a menace on the roads, both in speed and etiquette.

Shall we ban all marques and engine sizes or just police the roads better to tackle the poor driving? Ineffective roads policing is what is driving (excuse the pun) the problem, not the marque or engine size.

Driving at 70kph on a clear motorway is too slow.

I would also contend that the least courteous drivers by a long way are women.

They are far less likely to let people out etc.

Driving at 70kph on a clear motorway is too slow.

I would also contend that the least courteous drivers by a long way are women.

They are far less likely to let people out etc.
So far people are banning Audis, BMWs, and Passats - now women are on the chopping block. Traffic is about to get a lot lighter! Amazing that cyclists and vegans haven't made the list yet.

The overriding messages I'm getting on this thread are:-
(i) Many don't adhere to the Rules of the Road.
(ii) Many Road Users generally are guilty of ungentlemanly* conduct.

In Cork City I have found 90% of drivers do not use the car indicator lights while using roundabouts; another 5% use indicators wrongly on roundabouts. 3% who drive on roundabouts are "N" and "L" drivers who indicate. 2% of all the rest indicate properly. And that's only on roundabouts and includes small cars, big cars, vans, tractors, cyclists, ebikers. I find most truck drivers to be careful road users.

It's time every road user look in the bathroom mirror and conclude "My conduct and use of the roads must improve" - The alternative is unthinkable., Most of us should live into our late 70's, let's not make it easy for the Grim Reaper.

*I say "ungentlemanly" because it's mainly men who are the transgressors. And my opinion is that the age group 55+ of them are the worst.

Last edited:
In Cork City I have found 90% of drivers do not use the car indicator lights while using roundabouts; another 5% use indicators wrongly on roundabouts. 3% who drive on roundabouts are "N" and "L" drivers who indicate. 2% of all the rest indicate properly. And that's only on roundabouts and includes small cars, big cars, tractors, cyclists, ebikers.

Off the top of my head I mightn't agree with the percentages, but I would agree with the substantial point that the use (and non-use) of indicators is appalling. As is the understanding and use of lanes at roundabouts.

To be somewhat pedantic - there is no such minimum speed limit. But vehicles incapable of a speed of at least 50 kmh are forbidden on a motorway.
You are of course correct. You can be stationary on a motorway in a traffic jam.
My post was in relation to the previous posters statement that 70 kmph is to slow on a clear motorway. A vehicle with a top speed of 50 kmph can legally travel on the empty motorway.

You are of course correct. You can be stationary on a motorway in a traffic jam.
My post was in relation to the previous posters statement that 70 kmph is to slow on a clear motorway. A vehicle with a top speed of 50 kmph can legally travel on the empty motorway.
Which misses the point.

Nobody said it was illegal to drive at 70kph on a motorway.

But it is too slow.

Back