Building regs - renewable energy

K

kfh

Hi all,

What does the current building regs state re using a renewable energy in a new domestic build??

Do we have to include some from of renewable or must it be solar??

Thanks

You should look on Environ.ie for Technical Guidance Document L Conservation of Fuel and Energy in Dwellings

In short for new dwellings, the requirements of shall be met by (among other things)

(b)providing that a reasonable proportion of
the energy consumption to meet the energy
performance of a dwelling is provided by
renewable energy sources;

So yes, a new dwelling with require some element of renewal energy source, wind, sun, geo etc.

Hi KFH

Thanks for asking and I've replied to your other post.

I've tracked down what seems to be the current document.
The preamble is not too clear, but I've listed the Regulation wording below
I have highlighted Regulation L2 (b) below in bold as this seems to relate directly to your question.

FWIW

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

=========================================

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,19069,en.pdf

Conservation of Fuel and Energy

L1 A dwelling shall be designed and constructed so as to ensure that the energy performance of the
building is such as to limit the amount of energy required for the operation of the dwelling and the
amount of CO2 emissions associated with this energy use insofar as is reasonably practicable.

L2 For new dwellings, the requirement of L1 shall be met by
a. providing that the energy performance of the dwelling is such as to limit the calculated primary energy consumption and related CO2 emissions insofar as is reasonably practicable, when both energy consumption and CO2 emissions are calculated using the Dwelling Energy Assessment Procedure (DEAP) published by Sustainable Energy Ireland;
b. providing that, for new dwellings, a reasonable proportion of the energy consumption to meet the energy performance of a dwelling is provided by renewable energy sources;
c. limiting heat loss and,where appropriate, availing of heat gain through the fabric of the building;
d. providing and commissioning energy efficient space and water heating systems with efficient heat sources and effective controls;
e. providing that all oil and gas fired boilers shall meet a minimum seasonal net efficiency of 86%;
f. providing to the dwelling owner sufficient information about the building, the fixed building services and their maintenance requirements so that the building can be operated in such a manner as to use no more fuel and energy than is reasonable
L3 All oil and gas fired boilers installed as replacements in existing dwellings shall meet a minimum seasonal net efficiency of 86% where practicable.

Back