Home Building insurance question adviced needed

D

dave123

Hi all

I have a on going claim for water damage its now been 19 months and only now after a complaint to the FOC the loss adjusters have came back to me with a settlement which is is £2k less then what i was quoted by a builder. Loss adjusters are stalling again and now threatening me if i do not accept the settlement they will hire their 'own' builders to do the work when I had already told them I would get my own builders.
They even had the cheek to say I may spend the money elsewhere and not on getting the property fixed!!

I have had enough with the insurers and loss adjusters and close to shouting and swearing at them on the phone..

They have stated if i dont accept the offer they want me to arrange for their builder to inspect and re-quote .. which is aload of non sense

Any advice greatly appreicated

thanks

This is an Irish site.

In Ireland some insurers are engaging their own builders. If yours can do it cheaper, they might and its only a might, let your builder do the work.

If you are not in Ireland, the law and practice might be different.

Hi all

I have a on going claim for water damage its now been 19 months and only now after a complaint to the FOC the loss adjusters have came back to me with a settlement which is is £2k less then what i was quoted by a builder. Loss adjusters are stalling again and now threatening me if i do not accept the settlement they will hire their 'own' builders to do the work when I had already told them I would get my own builders.
They even had the cheek to say I may spend the money elsewhere and not on getting the property fixed!!

I have had enough with the insurers and loss adjusters and close to shouting and swearing at them on the phone..

They have stated if i dont accept the offer they want me to arrange for their builder to inspect and re-quote .. which is aload of non sense

Any advice greatly appreicated

thanks

Check your policy wording. If Insurers have an option to reinstate, then they will be within their rights to employ a contractor directly to do the work to your property, regardless of your views. The important issue here is what the policy says. This is the basis of a legally binding contract between you and your insurers.

Back