building cost up 15%

kateLaila

Hi just got quotes for building work prices 15 % + higher that what architect expected. She said this seems to be happening across the board on all their jobs. What's changed out there? I know the economy is picking up but have materials and labour really gone up that much?? Its nearly turned me off doing anything I feel it is running out of control again particularly in dublin...

Not so much materials going up but the goverment has brought in rules and regulation that have added considerably to the cost in a big way.

Plus demand is up so Builders can pick and choose, setting prices accordingly

Sounds about right Material and labour costs are up
insurance costs up,diesel is on the up .

I would expect another 10% rise later this year .
Due to lack of tradesmen.
We had virtually no aprenticeships in the last 8 years .
Companies with real tradesmen as delboy says will set there rates accordingly,
Rules and regs are defiantly playing there part too.

Hi just got quotes for building work prices 15 % + higher that what architect expected. She said this seems to be happening across the board on all their jobs. What's changed out there? I know the economy is picking up but have materials and labour really gone up that much?? Its nearly turned me off doing anything I feel it is running out of control again particularly in dublin...

So basically your architect is seeing their expectations not been meet on projects. To be honest there is nothing new there. As Architects generally use a cost per ft2, which has wide scope for error when compared to an actual nuts and bolts costing, this is generally the case.

Costs in the industry generally have not gone up substantially (I have tenders out and into the office weekly and they are still relatively flat which may change if unions start negotiating on labour rates across the industry like in others). Materials have increased year on year throughout the downturn and locally labour costs have but contractors generally are not in a position to pass this on, as the tender market is still extremely competitive and the race to the bottom mentality is still very much alive.

I therefore would have to say that costs have not gone up 15% but your Architects idea of what the costs would be were not as accurate.

Back