Building an ETF portfolio

jimmeboy

Hello all,

Been lurking these forums for some time however this is my first post here.

I am looking to invest a lump sum of around €10k and after plenty of reading I have decided that ETFs will be the base for my investment portfolio.

My criteria of the investment is;
- ideally the majority of the portfolio will be EURO denominated
- low currency risk
- needs emerging market exposure
- needs property exposure
- low average TER across the portfolio (hoping to keep this under 0.5%)

I have been searching and searching for the right ETFs and have found two which I believe will be good building blocks of my portfolio. These are below;

- iShares MSCI World Monthly EUR Hedged (LSE: IWDE) TER 0.55
- iShares MSCI Europe Acc (LSE: SMEA) TER 0.35

I realise that IWDE includes European stocks, however I would like a higher level of exposure to Europe which is why I have added SMEA. I am also considering going for iShares MSCI Europe Minimum Volatility (LSE: MVEU) TER 0.25.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe split what I was going to invest in SMEA into both funds (SMEA / MVEU) to lower the volatility of my European portion of my portfolio?

Also, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction in relation to some Emerging Market / Property ETFs (ideally EURO denominated). I know the big ones IEMG / VWO, however these are USD and I really want to try to keep my currency exposure low. Thoughts?

In regards to a property ETF I have been looking at iShares FTSE/EPRA European Property Index Fund (LSE: IPRP) TER 0.4. What are your thoughts on this? I would also look to get some US property exposure, possibly through iShares FTSE EPRA/NAREIT US Property Yield Fund (LSE: IUSP) TER 0.4.

So considering the above, this is what I am thinking at the moment;

40% - iShares MSCI World Monthly EUR Hedged (LSE: IWDE) TER 0.55
20% - Vanguard MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (NYSE: VWO) TER 0.18
10% - iShares MSCI Europe Acc (LSE: SMEA) TER 0.35
10% - iShares MSCI Europe Minimum Volatility (LSE: MVEU) TER 0.25
5% - iShares FTSE/EPRA European Property Index Fund (LSE: IPRP) TER 0.4
5% - iShares FTSE EPRA/NAREIT US Property Yield Fund (LSE: IUSP) TER 0.4
10% - ???

I would appreciate any critiques of the above and suggestions of how to better the portfolio.

Most of the articles and research that I have read is written for US investors and I haven't had much luck at all in finding ETF recommendations for European investors.

I was hoping I could find some help here...

Thanks!

Back