Build Costs going down?

sman

Hi, just wondering if anyone is noticing build costs going down? or are they generally remaining the same? I have heard that it is a good time to build. We will be looking for quotes once we get planning to build a 3000sq ft bungalow. just curious if anyone who has built recently or got quotes has any info

Re: Build Costs going down???

It really depends where you are and who you are dealing with. I know a lot of people in the trade have not as much work as before but then it really means that they have to keep the prices up on the jobs they do get. My sister is starting to build this year and I built last year and not a lot of her quotes are much different to mine - and she has gotten quotes off different people to me(building in different area). Also talking to people too they say materials have really gone up a bit too in the last year. So to answer your question when is a "good time" is hard to know but a self build is never easy!
Good luck!

Hi, I got my planning permission six months ago, and decided to wait for prices to level out as the quotes were just crazy.
I have recently recieved two quotes,one Irish and one Polish builder and the price has been reduced by 50K!
So me thinks this is a good time.Best of luck.
deew

Difficult to say....
I got insulated gypsum plasterboards (25mm insulation, 12.5mm plasterboard) recently for 28euro including VAT each....

Is that expensive or what?

Perhaps others can comment regarding this & all other building material costs...just to get an indication if material costs have risen.

Difficult to say....
I got insulated gypsum plasterboards (25mm insulation, 12.5mm plasterboard) recently for 28euro including VAT each....

Is that expensive or what?

Perhaps others can comment regarding this & all other building material costs...just to get an indication if material costs have risen.

In my experience, building materials are rising across the board (steel, concrete, blocks, timber etc) but tradesmen are definitely dropping prices and fast. For example, plasterers are charging half the price for a job than the same job a year ago. Blocklayers were 1.20/1.30 per block a year ago, they are now 80c/90c or less.
All the people in the construction industry are very gloomy when you talk to them and many reckon we are only starting on the downturn...

Cheers for the replys. I'm hoping to go down the foreman/project manager route where i pay someone to organise direct labour for me. There are a number of these project managers in my area (Waterford), who have plenty of trade contacts and always have a number of jobs on the go. I think they are all ex-foremen for large contractors. I know the quotes i get will be split out by trade so hoping to save there as blocklayers should be at least 30% cheaper from what i have read. I can also then go off and get my own carpenter etc. if i can find one cheaper.

sman, I am also looking to build using a project manager in the Waterford area. Can you recommend anyone?

Yep - just to echo above - the materials are on the up alright & labour costs are down - blockies & plasterers. Not sure about finishing carpenters though- particularly ones with good reputations - still seem to be commanding about the same money.

Raw materials are definately going up, and only some trades are quiet: blocklayers/plasterers. Concrete and concrete products (blocks, cills, lintels) all went up recently - concrete locally here, by 10%.

Electricians/plumbers still charging top-dollar - no discounting yet.

Timber, etc, all on the way up - the cost of getting it here is causing a lot of it - that, and increased demand globally for it.

Fwiw, builder's finish for 300sq m house, in concrete, no hi-tech insulation standard, no solar, no kitchen, etc quoted to a client in Galway today at Eur 100 per sq m.

So, if you're to take that labour which is currently in excess supply (blocks/plasterers) - that's only a minority cost in the house -everything else is up.

The new Regs with higher standards are also going put house prices up as well.

So, to the OP's question: now is a good time to build, compared to any period in the last few years.

yes, labour costs are going down but building materials shooting up compared to 2 years ago when we were building our second house, on our third now and some items are 33% more expensive when i compare to my old invoices...but you have to shop around, i found building materials in the east way cheaper (up to 60% in some cases) compared to munster area....What you should do is have a list on what you want and wait for sales in builder providers/DIY stores, you'd be surprised on what you can pick up esp for finishing items, which can be very expensive at full retail price

sman, I am also looking to build using a project manager in the Waterford area. Can you recommend anyone?

I have not started building yet so i cant recommend anyone at the moment but I have had a couple of people recommended to me over the past few months. PM me and i'll give you their contact details if you want. I have not inspected any of their work so i cant personally endorse any of them but if you are looking for a couple of names, let me know...

I got pricing off a quote for a 300 sq m house, yesterday, in Galway.

Builders' finish i.e. white deal doors/skirting/architrave, no kitchen, v. basic allowance for sanitary ware, bumpy white tiles, no floor tiles. Oil fired heating w/rads - no solar, ufh, geo, pellets or A-ratings here ! - Eur 75-100 per sq m. (prices ranged from 3 builders for the same house, by 80k).

fwiw, as they say.

I got pricing off a quote for a 300 sq m house, yesterday, in Galway.

Builders' finish i.e. white deal doors/skirting/architrave, no kitchen, v. basic allowance for sanitary ware, bumpy white tiles, no floor tiles. Oil fired heating w/rads - no solar, ufh, geo, pellets or A-ratings here ! - Eur 75-100 per sq m. (prices ranged from 3 builders for the same house, by 80k).

fwiw, as they say.

You mean 75-100 per square foot right ?

I am currently looking for quotes to build a 2100 sqft 2 storey house + hollow core + Attic converted. I have received 2 quotes back and they are both 300K (including VAT) - now that is basic plumbing/electrics/windows/standard insulation + a stone wall at front .....

It is a very simple house to build, and even with the hollowcore and converted attic and stone wall, I was expecting prices under 220-250K region (Including VAT) - maybe I was being naive...

I have 4 more quotes to get back, but at this rate I will have to go direct labour or Project Manager route or a combination.....

I am in the Galway region.

I am currently looking for quotes to build a 2100 sqft 2 storey house + hollow core + Attic converted. I have received 2 quotes back and they are both 300K (including VAT) - now that is basic plumbing/electrics/windows/standard insulation + a stone wall at front .....

It is a very simple house to build, and even with the hollowcore and converted attic and stone wall, I was expecting prices under 220-250K region (Including VAT) - maybe I was being naive...

I have 4 more quotes to get back, but at this rate I will have to go direct labour or Project Manager route or a combination.....

I am in the Galway region.

300k is a joke of a price. I recommend direct labour. You should be able to do it for 200k. I am building in Galway too. At the start I knew nothing but I have learned fast and I really enjoy it. I have to thank a lot of AAM contributors too ! There are a lot of eager tradesmen out there right now.

I was hoping that the contractors would have cut their margins in the current climate....but with the prices I have got back so far I will have no choice but to go direct labour - its a bit daunting as I no know very little about it - but with the savings and the availability of trades it seems like the way to go

One thing I was thinking about that would help would be to get a bill of quantities from a QS - to pin down all the material quantities and sizes - which would help when assessing quotes from subbies ?

Has anyone who has gone by direct labour used a QS ?
Would anyone have any pointers on getting started with Direct Labour i.e. INsurance, Health and Saftey, Scaffolding etc ?

Thanks

I was hoping that the contractors would have cut their margins in the current climate....but with the prices I have got back so far I will have no choice but to go direct labour - its a bit daunting as I no know very little about it - but with the savings and the availability of trades it seems like the way to go

One thing I was thinking about that would help would be to get a bill of quantities from a QS - to pin down all the material quantities and sizes - which would help when assessing quotes from subbies ?

Has anyone who has gone by direct labour used a QS ?
Would anyone have any pointers on getting started with Direct Labour i.e. INsurance, Health and Saftey, Scaffolding etc ?

Thanks

I'm hoping to build a 2000 sq ft bungalow in Kerry this year. I recently met with a QS who advised that in todays climate it should be possible to get a builders finish for 200K. He is going to prepare a BOQ, source contractors and assess quotes for a charge of approx 5K.

Spoke to a Contractor outside Dundalk and he said 77 euro a sq ft for Basic house ! They have dropped and loads of people I know in the trade that are doing very little, shop around and you save a bomb.

Back