BTEA and Seasonal Employment

Nicko

Hi
Looking for some advice on the above.
I run a small business who takes on a few seasonal local employees for July and August. I have one person who has been an excellent employee working on her college holidays for the past four years. This year, however, she has told me that since she finished her course last year and after she finished her seasonal employment that she has been on jobseekers allowance or benefit, (i am not sure which). And that she is returning to college in september doing another course.
She has applied for the BTEA and that to qualify she must have nine months continous qualifying social welfare payment. Therefore, by returning to work for six or eight weeks this summer will break the nine months and will disqualify her from recieving the BTEA and all other benefits... On that basis she only wants to work if its cash!!
Does anyone know if this is true? I trust her but since i know very little about social welfare, student grants etc etc, i need advice....
N

A person applying for BTEA (Back to Education Allowance) must be on Jobseeker's immediately prior to commencing the course, so your employee is correct on that point.

She appears to be suggesting that you facilitate welfare fraud by allowing her to work and sign on at the same time.

She has to be on a social welfare payment when the course starts, but all periods on a qualifying social welfare period over the past 5 years can be aggregated to make up the 9 month period as long as they are not separated by more than 52 weeks.

Provided she can re-establish her Jobseekers claim before the course starts, then she will be fine.

Of course, if she is voluntarily leaving your employment, then she may find herself disqualified from Jobseekers when she re-applies which would then leave her ineligible for BTEA. If the employment is only seasonal and ends (ie, not due to her own fault) in time for her to get her Jobseekers claim re-processed, then she will be fine.

Once she starts BTEA there is no restriction in the amount of hours that she works, provided that she remains a full-time student.

Thanks for all your replies...
I forgot to say that she had also told me that her course fees are paid for if she is on social welfare for the nine months preceding the commencement of the course. But that if this nine months is broken then she has to pay them....
Could this be true?

Thanks for all your replies...
I forgot to say that she had also told me that her course fees are paid for if she is on social welfare for the nine months preceding the commencement of the course. But that if this nine months is broken then she has to pay them....
Could this be true?

No, that is not true. Most courses run fee waivers for BTEA participants. You're either on BTEA or you're not. If the course does not run a fee waiver for BTEA participants, the student can make an application local authority/VEC for fees to be paid. If you're applying for fees to be paid, your income is taken into account.

Are you sure Ildanach that most courses run fee waivers for BTEA participants? Do you know any of these courses?

Back