Brown Thomas Wedding List

I

Iano

Has anyone tried to buy a gift from BT's wedding list service. I did so last August and was hit with a charge of €6 for 'storage, insurance and delivery' on top of the cost of the gifts. I was told that the gifts would be delivered on the bride and groom's return from honeymoon. But, after much chasing of Brown Thomas, they had to week over six weeks after their return to receive only 75% of their gifts. The remaining 25% were 'out of stock' - so why did all the guests have to pay a 'storage' charge when it appears that the gifts are just picked from stock immediately prior to delivery. The bride and groom were pretty p***ed off, and so was I. It's not teh money, it's the principle of the rip off.

I tried to collect the gifts from the store directly as I was going to be in town anyway, but was told that this was not possible - so I had no choice but to pay the delivery charge.

So I would advise wedding couples to think twice about using Brown Thomas - not only are their prices higher than elsewhere, you may be disappointed by late delivery, if you even manage to get all your stuff at once, and your guests will be ripped off .

It sounds like a dirty little trick, that surcharge! People have already been put in the embarassing position of feeling a little bit "obliged" to get their gift there, unless another store has also been designated.

Think of the revenue BT get from the guaranteed sale of the goods, publicity and possible future custom without having to stick on the E6?

It has been a while, but some of the wedding list places used to be flexible. I know that the place where we had our list allowed people to buy themselves and mark it off the list.

In some ways it makes sense to deliver all the presents together, but it also makes sense to allow individuals give their presents themselves and just notify the list people that present X has been bought.

By the way, unless someone specifically states they don't want anything except items on the list (unlikely), then you can of course give them something else - just don't expect the couple to have your sugar bowl on the table when everything else matches.

z

BT wedding list

The last time I bought a gift from a wedding list in BTs was about 3 years ago, but at that time I could just buy it, get it ticked off the list, and take it away with me to give directly to the couple myself.

BT wedding list

Sister used it approx 4 years ago. It was a complete disaster. Stuff not arriving despite having been purchased, items arriving twice, goods arriving damages etc. She spent months ringing them up and going in and out of the shop. Would 't recommend it if you want to stay sane!!

my experience

I got a present for a couple from their list in BT's in 2000. At the time I could take it with me or for £3 they could deliver it for me. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to deliver presents myself so I declined.

But if they can charge €6 for this now then people are obviously paying it.

Harney was right.

Re: my experience

Wedding lists are a pain in the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.

I'd just buy a voucher for the disignated shop and let the couple spend it as they like.

It would kill me to have to go into BT and buy a spoon for €80.

Of course, it's wouldn't just be a spoon for 80 Euro, it would be a statement about one's part in a contemporary, modern Ireland.

I think the statement would read "I'm a pretentious tosser with more money and/or notions that I know how to handle!"

Sounds about right.

Back