Breton Cider

tomthumb

OK this is a sad thread. A friend, :eek: mmmm, recently returned from Brittany. He is not a drinker, usually, except of water and coffee, but he loved the Breton cider. Problem is he doesn't like the usual stuff available here in Ireland, too sweet. Does anyone know of any cider that resembles the Breton stuff. Brut was the favourite but any supermarkets, anywhere, sell the real nice tasting stuff like the Breton one or similar?? Alternatively anyone prepared to load up the car when returning home from hols... I pay well? I mean he would pay you well! I told you it was sad.... :p

tomthumb said:
Problem is he doesn't like the usual stuff available here in Ireland, too sweet.

Not all ciders on general sale here are sweet. There are dry ciders available too. However, I haven't been a cider aficionado since I was about 16. :) I don't really like sweet drinks and the last cider that I tasted that I liked was [broken link removed] (scroll to the end of the page) because it was relatively dry and at least tasted of something.

;) thanks for that. Think I will have to experiment with various ciders to find the right one!

If your interest is more than just drinking it then you might like to take a look at

[broken link removed]

Friends of the apple !

The best thing comes from County Dublin, but for a price. € 5.- if you buy a crate of it." Double L " it's called , the Bretones would be proud of it .
Check [email protected] The maker is D.Llewin from Lusk , tel.: 087-2843879
He makes a " dry " and a " bone dry " variety , using the entire sugar content of the apple.
Sláinte !

Gosh theres an idea! Make it myself!!:D I could adjust the sweetness!! Met an old lady of 80 while I was over in Brittany and she produced the magic thing they call Pommeau. Sort of an apple/cider type liquer - what a whack that had! Tried to get her to explain exactly how she makes it but the ould school French let me down. Will investigate all avenues in the search for the perfect cider!! Any 75 cent a big bottle cider like in Brittany? I was amazed how much even a can here costs!!:(

tomthumb said:
Gosh theres an idea! Make it myself!!:D I could adjust the sweetness!! Met an old lady of 80 while I was over in Brittany and she produced the magic thing they call Pommeau. Sort of an apple/cider type liquer - what a whack that had! Tried to get her to explain exactly how she makes it but the ould school French let me down. Will investigate all avenues in the search for the perfect cider!! Any 75 cent a big bottle cider like in Brittany? I was amazed how much even a can here costs!!:(

www.talisman.com/cider

but be careful that this crowd dont go hold of it :

http://www.advfn.com/cmn/fbb/thread.php3?id=919658 :cool:

( registration - free may be required )

You can buy some on line at [broken link removed]. Never use them so don't know how they rate
You can also find some in Superquinn and some of the off licence even Tesco sometimes have some

Best of luck for your mate

oooh the Cidre de Terroir sounds promising!! The hunt goes on and who knows, one day I could be a producer!! Must try Superquinn, haven't been yet. Thanks again,

Back