Motor Breakdown assistance and Hotel stay on old policy

M

mawser

Hi there,

I am wondering would it be worth my while to chase up my previous motor insurance provider in relation to reimbursement.

Was in Galway in May, long story short, gearbox went in car. Ended up having to stay the night in a hotel as was too late to travel by bus. Contacted Insurance provider to organise recovery of car the next day, which was no problem whatsoever.

Only found out recently , that I could have been covered for the hotel stay by my policy. The cost wouldn't normally bother me but it's the fact that my OH paid this for me, and if I could get it back for him it would be great. However, I have recently changed insurance companies and was wondering would it be worth my while to chase this up with them?? They would have date of Car recovery and he has CC receipt and statement to show date of hotel stay. Would this be pointless to follow up on?

I wouldnt fancy your chances. Usually the breakdown is operated by a separate company as a benefit under the policy. So its not the same as "making" a claim. But sure all they can say is no.

I think it has to be approved at the time of breakdown. I had to avail of breakdown last week, I read my T&Cs of breakdown and thought i would be entitled to have a car for 48hours, but as they towed me to a garage near my home it wasn't. All in the wording of the policy.

You have nothing to lose by asking but I doubt you will get any reimbursement!

Back