Break in Service - Redundancy

D

donal

My wife has been working in a particular legal office for almost 8 years now. About 4 years ago she decided to move job which she did to be closer to home - for four days. Basically she was not happy in the new company and her old employer offered her the opportunity to comeback and start back immideiately with them - Lucky her, i felt. With the legal profession taking a dive in some areas she wonders if that break will affect redundancy entitlements, i would have thought so, but perhaps someone can provide clarification?

the company could use it against her if they wanted to, but they shouldn't if there is any fairness at play. Take the case where a worker leaves on short time layoff (and gets a P45) and then gets another job but returns to the original employer some time later, then the break in service only counts for time not worked, not as a new start date. It would really depend on the employer in this case. They could decide to use her start date as 4 years ago.

AFAIA if there is a break of less than 6 months, it can count as one employment for redundancy purposes but the time she was away would be a break in service so non-reckonable for redundancy payment.

Back