Bratislava, Slovakia

Apsil

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of investing in this market? The numbers look reasonably good (GDP growth per head, population growth, etc) - does anyone have any insight on what is obviously a risky market?

Regards,

Mike.

hi
i read a piece last year on Bratislava and apparently there is a new motorway being constructed between there and i think Austria,this has upped the property prices in Bratislava because the journey time to Vienna will only be approx 45 minutes and the prices in Bratislava are much cheaper than Austria
just to be sure click the link below
[broken link removed]

this might help

Thanks - that's very helpful. If you come across anything else on this area I'd appreciate a quick post update.

some of irelands top developers are building massive projects there and risking billions so they must think its a good bet and their judgement is as good as anyones i suppose.

Just be aware of the tax situation. You may have a liability to tax in Ireland and well as Slovakia.

lived there for a while (great city!) and a number of colleagues bought apartments there. Two huge developments by Ballymore ( in the city alongside the danube) and by Quinlan which is actually between Bratislava and the Austrian border. There are a lot of Irish over there investing at the moment so plenty of rubbish to wade through to find a good investment.

On a positive note there is significant industrial /commercial developments there especially in car assembly so there is strong demand for rental property at the moment.

When looking at prices add on the 19% tax that is added to the purchase price. Also the fit out of apartments varies from fully floored and all appliances to the more usual of no doors, no bathroom and no kitchen.

i have a friend that is Slovakian..not from Brataslavia. we have had conversations about Slovakia in general and it seems to me that it came out as the poor relation from the parting with Czech..in the countyr side i know there is still poverty and lots of Slovakian gypsys(i'm not being racist with that comment).It's still a poor country and many of the workers actually go to Czech republic to work on short term contract in the big factories and building sites.(this i know as a fact).
Bratislavia is being bolstered by the Austrians and the proximity to Austria with this motorway.also if you are buying by the river check out past flooding of the Danube and what damage i'd did in the past.like the river in Prague did about 5 years ago..some hotels only re-opened last year..
for the link i ddi a search on google for batislava austria motorway and it gave me a good few hits.
i think the article i read was in the Sunday times

Apsil said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of investing in this market? The numbers look reasonably good (GDP growth per head, population growth, etc) - does anyone have any insight on what is obviously a risky market?

Regards,

Mike.

Investment in SLovakia is safe I am toying with purchashing property in the Tatra Mountains in area calle vysne Ruzbachy. I am heading out there shortly. I think the area has appeal, good rental and the development will be the first in this area directly on ski slopes. let me know if you want details of my contact

Just bought there myself recently and will be developing appartments there over the next 2 years.
It is a beautiful city and I have great faith in it.
As I said, I will be developing so have only studied the sales end of it and not the rental end.

woods said:
It is a beautiful city and I have great faith in it.
I hope that other people inform their investment decisions in property or other assets by more than just blind faith. As a more realistic and prudent approach try crunching the numbers and taking an objective/conservative view of the possible returns possible and comparing them to alternative investments before committing.

Thanks all, this is very helpful stuff. I've looked at most of the property websites in relation to this and plan a trip over in a few weeks. What do you think of Ballymore's proposed development, "Eurovea" <http://www.ballymore.co.uk/site/bally_development_page.php?development_id=30>? Does anyone know how close / far this is perceived to be to the centre? Obviously I'll find out when I get there but advanced info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike.

Apsil said:
Thanks all, this is very helpful stuff. I've looked at most of the property websites in relation to this and plan a trip over in a few weeks. What do you think of Ballymore's proposed development, "Eurovea" <http://www.ballymore.co.uk/site/bally_development_page.php?development_id=30>? Does anyone know how close / far this is perceived to be to the centre? Obviously I'll find out when I get there but advanced info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike.
It is right in the city centre and on the banks of the river. They have managed to get themselves a beautiful site but it took them a long time to get it togeather.
A lot of ground in Slovakia belongs to multiple owners and it is not easy to get a large tract of land.
I will bring it up on Google Earth and send it to you if you want

ClubMan said:
I hope that other people inform their investment decisions in property or other assets by more than just blind faith. As a more realistic and prudent approach try crunching the numbers and taking an objective/conservative view of the possible returns possible and comparing them to alternative investments before committing.
I do not know what I ever said or did that would lead you to believe that I am either stupid or unrealistic. I probably had made my first million before you were born and have not made a lot of mistakes since so hold the lectures and the sarcasm please.

woods said:
I do not know what I ever said or did that would lead you to believe that I am either stupid or unrealistic. I probably had made my first million before you were born and have not made a lot of mistakes since so hold the lectures and the sarcasm please.

You tell em Woods

Thanks Woods - I've Google Earth myself and hadn't thought of using that. Any other good ideas on this or if you come across good info in your own research on Bratislava I'd appreciate a heads up.

I liked the response to Clubman too ;-)

Regards,

Mike

Apsil said:
Thanks Woods - I've Google Earth myself and hadn't thought of using that. ;-)
When you look at the map you will find 4 bridges almost equal distance apart (fifth is a lot further to the left).
Their site is on the northern bank of the river with 2 of the 4 bridges on either side of it. I would think that they have everything between the 2 bridges.

Hi,
I'm going out to Bratislava next week for a few days to look at some properties. I have been receiving stuff from various agents out there if you want I can give you some valid links. Prices range anything from 50K upwards however for new builds you're prob looking at 100k ish for 2 bed reasonable size property. Stare Mesto is the most central area and seems to be popular with locals and tourists. I'll probably know more after I get back. I've been told that the buying process can be difficult but I haven't experienced that yet.

Culchie said:
What price range are the appartments?
I do not remember. Log on to their website. I do not know if the prices are listed or not. They have not even cleared the site yet.

Back