Bratislava, Slovakia

bananas

Hi, looking for tips/advice for Bratislava. Going there for a few days at end of month.
Thanks

Hi, looking for tips/advice for Bratislava. Going there for a few days at end of month.
Thanks

Hi,

I was there for three nights in August last year. Eating and drinking out was relatively expensive, compared to Vienna, which also has a lot more to see. The cathedral is interesting (many Hungarian monarchs were crowned there), there's a castle on a hill, which was being restored last year, and on another hill there's a Soviet war memorial with the remains of thousands of soldiers. I spent an hour or so in a transport museum beside the railway station. There were a few nice churches and a lot of street sculptures (man looking out of manhole, man with camera and so on), but nothing which really grabbed me. Oh, there's a modern city council building in the form of an inverted pyramid and a funky looking bridge over the Danube. You can go to Vienna by boat in about an hour and a quarter if you get bored :) (or by train in an hour).

Hope you have a good time!

Thanks Calculator, I'm getting the same impression from other stuff I've been reading.
Sounds like a day trip to Vienna might be a good plan.
Was it very hot in August?

Thanks Calculator, I'm getting the same impression from other stuff I've been reading.
Sounds like a day trip to Vienna might be a good plan.
Was it very hot in August?

It wasn't too hot - maybe up to 30C - very nice in the evenings.

If you get to Vienna, the Kaisergruft, a crypt of the Habsburgs, is well worth a look, as is the Schatzkammer (treasury) in the Hofburg Palace.

I'm just back from 3 days there with my Slovak girlfriend. Its a city where an inside track is definitely advantageous because if I was on my own I wouldn't have seen half the stuff I did.

Firstly the weather should was around 35 C. There's a lovely lake just outside the city where you can enjoy the weather, not sure how to get there but I think its near the airport area.

Secondly I liked the the old town, the Jewish quarter, loads of nice shops and pubs, but expensive

Thirdly, the castle is being renovated, its still worth a trip to but you can't go inside. There's a museum there but its closed on Monday's

Lastly, I read on this website before I went that there's not too much to do because the city centre is small and the most of the place is covered in flats a la Ballymun. These flats are not attractive but they are not similar to council flats here. Professional people occupy them and I was surprised by the amount of BMW's and Mercs I saw there. MORE IMPORTANTLY on the ground floor of every complex there are restaurants, pubs and shops that are good quality and great value - 75 cents for a pint 5 euro for a good meal

But I would recommend going to Budapest or Vienna for a day, something which I didn't get around to.

Back