Bord Gáis took December payment twice

Bonaparte

I noticed two direct debit deductions from my bank account for Bord Gáis in December. When I queried this I got a stock EMail back saying it was an error and that the money would be returned in ten days. Unhappy with this I EMailed back asking for some form of explanation to which the reply was a vague statement about an error and that was it. I'm not sure whether the money would have been refunded had I not raised a query. Has anyone else been hit? Maybe I'm getting old and cranky but when a utility company takes money from my bank in error I would have expected a major apology and even some small reduction in my next bill!

A major reason why so many are willing to pay extra not to have direct debits is trust of the utilities and their systems. I have experience from several friends of colleagues of similar errors and the same Laissez-faire attitude from the said organizations. Customer care has unfortunately gone out the window with IT systems being the new god.

This is the reason why I pay my bills online directly rather than using direct debit. Had the same experience with Bord Gais issuing a very large bill one winter (estimated) and took a while to get the overpayment back. Since then have as little on direct debit as possible.

I have Bord Gais but don't pay by direct debit, rather I log in each month and pay by a credit card.
In December there had been website changes, (I was told), and I was presented with double the figure on the bill, and no way to alter it.
(Previously I would have put in myself what amount to be deducted, so could have put less than the amount due).
I phoned up, and tried to pay telephonically by automatic voice (if you follow) but although that first said the correct amount due, it then wanted to deduct double. I had to get an actual person to take the payment, as he could override the amount.

I am very interested to know how widespread this double take was. The cash flow impact for year end could be quiet substantial for Bord Gáis! Perhaps it's a good thing that the billing systems are not being used for Irish Water after all!

it's a good thing that the billing systems are not being used for Irish Water after all!

It ain't the system that cause the problem, it is the user. It was the same with Ulster Bank last year.

When the computers rise up and take over they will hunt those people who blame 'systems failure'!

Just by way of closure, I got a letter from Bord Gáis yesterday telling me that they had noticed that they had taken the DD twice and giving me a €20 credit on my next bill. No mention of the fact that I had alerted them to the fact! Anyway I suppose this is a positive outcome in the end

Anyway I suppose this is a positive outcome in the end

For you it is, but can you imagine why this kind of thing can to do to people who do not have any extra money in their accounts, they could go into overdrafts and all sorts.

Back