Booterstown Wood, Booterstown, South Co. Dublin

charlie MacZ

Hi,

I've spent the last couple of months looking at 3 bed semi's in the Dublin 5 area(Rahent, Killester) with very little joy.

I work in Ballsbridge and have a budget of around 300k so i want to live close to DART.

From talkin to friends and people on this site i was advised to buy a house instead of an apt. for various reasons.

But today i see this new development in Booterstown and i'm thinking hold on a second this looks promising great location and not a bad price.....Any thoughts ?

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=499307

Ya, seen the irish times article first thing this morning. Rang the EA they said their gonna be snapped up fast, i cannot get out there until saturday.

Live near there myself - and I think they are good value in current market, and probably will be sold quickly.

they certainly seem well finished. This isn't really Booterstown, its a good 25 minute walk down Booterstown Ave to get to the DART, its the side of the N11 between Stillorgan and UCD. Many of the Apartments are facing on to the N11 so you wouldn't have a great view from the Balcony. And it would be fiarly noisey.
Still though it is a nice loaction and the Apartments certainly look nice, affordable too

estate agent was on the RTE news at lunch time. only a few deposits were taken. (mostly couples in their 50's)

would say you would be OK come Saturday.

they certainly seem well finished. This isn't really Booterstown, its a good 25 minute walk down Booterstown Ave to get to the DART, its the side of the N11 between Stillorgan and UCD. Many of the Apartments are facing on to the N11 so you wouldn't have a great view from the Balcony. And it would be fiarly noisey.
Still though it is a nice loaction and the Apartments certainly look nice, affordable too

25 mins? Sounds like these are "Booterstown" in the way that Glasnevin is Finglas.

(I once went looking at what I thought was a bargain house whose address was Booterstown, but indeed it was a good 20 minute walk from the seafront into a dodgy area; I didn't realise Booterstown had a ghetto.)

€215,000 is a good price for a 590sq ft 1bed apartment in the worst housing market for decades?????

All I can say is thank the Lord I don't live and work in and around Dublin.

Seems to be closer to Blackrock DART station rather than Booterstown, noise could be a problem as it's close to UCD and there could be alot of students wanting to rent there that would be a big no no for me. I would be looking to settle there for at least 5 years so yes its a nice location, close enough of a commute to Ballsbridge good price, but it could get noisy and maybe in 5 years it will be impossible to get rid of it.

I can never understand why anyone would buy a one bed apt. You can not have visitors to stay - unless they are sleeping with you or on the couch. You can not rent a room for a short period of time if you'd like a cash injection for something. You are limiting your resale market considerable.
I think 215K for a one bed regardless of size is a lot when you are limiting yourself so much.

25 mins? Sounds like these are "Booterstown" in the way that Glasnevin is Finglas.
Booterstown covers a large area stretching from the Stillorgan Road to the Rock Road. Because of the geographical layout of the area, much of it isn't near the Dart Station. There's no pretence here as the apartments are at the junction of Booterstown Avenue and Stillorgan Road. You could call it Stillorgan instead if you like but An Post would probably disagree. Hardly comparable to Finglas.
(I once went looking at what I thought was a bargain house whose address was Booterstown, but indeed it was a good 20 minute walk from the seafront into a dodgy area; I didn't realise Booterstown had a ghetto.)
Booterstown has some student accommodation and plenty of older houses in disrepair occupied by elderly residents. Plenty of quiet roads but nothing even approaching dodgy, let alone a ghetto by any definition lol :rolleyes: Sounds like you don't know the area very well.

OP consider there are plenty of unoccupied apartments in the area. It's only a matter of time before the nicer Elm Park apartments come up for sale.

Thanks, Going out tomorrow to check these out so i'll fill ye in. The pictures on daft for 2 beds are a little misleading i think, it says 2 beds are 70Sq metres but the pictures make it look like they are a lot bigger. anyway i'll know more tmrw.

The pictures are always misleading - there is no substitute for walking around inside a place. When I bought my own apartment the pictures suggested you may not be able to see someone on the far side of the room such was the limitless space - in reality of course its very different!!! The one thing I always think the pictures do not show is the feeling of space due to ceiling height - you need to walk in to see/feel this.

I still think the prices for these are high in the current environment - dont forget there will be management fees to consider also.

Also just be wary of the use of smaller furniture in show apartments, the apartment can seem roomier because of this also.

Also just be wary of the use of smaller furniture in show apartments, the apartment can seem roomier because of this also.

Yes - good point - there is also a lot is done with lighting in show places to give the illusion of more space.

Hi

I grew up on Booterstown and there are so many appartments around there, that my feelings are only buy something that you would be willing to stay in for a long time, so if kids come or? your happy to be there, also how much annual maintenance charges, most of my friends paying over €100per month, I bought a little two bedroomed house and have to say i think in a better position to my friends in appartments. I dont think they will all sell out that quick if they do it will be to more investors renting them, and either empty flats as half are on the N11. But best of luck with what you choose

Im going down to have a look now.. so will post later.
One fundamental in todays market is that one would have to consider it a long term proposion - ie living there longterm maybe downsizing rather than a stepping stone to house- as like all appts they will be hard to resell.

Back