BoI to change fee structure - No Longer Possible to Get Free Banking

I'm a BOI customer going on 20 years now. Lately I'm seeing "Notified Fees" every quarter for 40+ EUR.

Rang PTSB ealier today about switching to them. Going to be a major pain in the ass moving but it's the principle of the thing. I refuse to be gouged by BOI.

BOI may be overcharging current account fees

Word of warning to everyone, check the BOI fee statement at the back of your current account statement.

I have a current account with them that has no ATM or Debit card, however I noticed on a fee statement over a year ago that they were charging me for 5 ATM/DEBIT CARD transactions.

I called them, they could not explain it and promised to credit the amount. Because the charge was so small, I never checked they actually did it and forgot completely about it since.

Then again this latest statement I noticed they did it again, I checked back on other statements since I first noticed it and they have continued to do it, and I can't find the refund that they promised either.

I am calling them again today for an explanation. Is there someone I can/should report this to, it could be a systemic overcharging issue by BOI?

Going to be a major pain in the ass moving but it's the principle of the thing.

Having to pay more taxes is a pain in the ass, getting older is a pain in the ass,

Moving bank is a just small bit of admin :) :) - that will save you money

(As mentioned loads of times on this site the banks rely on our "inertia"; though they probably just call us lazy!! :))

Word of warning to everyone, check the BOI fee statement at the back of your current account statement.

I have a current account with them that has no ATM or Debit card, however I noticed on a fee statement over a year ago that they were charging me for 5 ATM/DEBIT CARD transactions.

I called them, they could not explain it and promised to credit the amount. Because the charge was so small, I never checked they actually did it and forgot completely about it since.

Then again this latest statement I noticed they did it again, I checked back on other statements since I first noticed it and they have continued to do it, and I can't find the refund that they promised either.

I am calling them again today for an explanation. Is there someone I can/should report this to, it could be a systemic overcharging issue by BOI?
I would be interested to see what explanation they come up with for this. I can't understand how they can charge for card transactions, if you do not even have a card.

I'd leave BoI but will PTSB not just introduce fees next year or so thereby making a move more hassle than it's worth?

I'd leave BoI but will PTSB not just introduce fees next year or so thereby making a move more hassle than it's worth?

No one can predict the future - make the move and next year if necessary make a move again. Dont just stay with BOI because what might happen or not happen in the future.

Anybody see the BOI ad in The Irish Mail on Sunday today? Laughable.

Agreed. The advertisement campaign does not even offer one reason that someone should consider BoI.

Poor add. Almost as bad as the misleading Special Term deposit product BoI advertisements.

No one can predict the future - make the move and next year if necessary make a move again. Dont just stay with BOI because what might happen or not happen in the future.

Agreed again. I personally think that the PTSB 'free banking' product is a medium term proposition and is unlikely to disappear soon.

The same ad was carried in the Sunday Times. National Consumer Agency would have been proud of the wording.

I ordered a new Visa Debit card 2 weeks ago as my old one was faulty. They sent me a new one with plus an €8.00 charge for the pleasure....
I havent activated or used it, and its going back to them. I signed up with PTSB this week and will transfer everything over to them. Ive also payed off a BOI loan early and closed my savings account. Ive been a BOI customer for over 25 years, but their new charges are driving me away.

Agreed. The advertisement campaign does not even offer one reason that someone should consider BoI.

Poor add. Almost as bad as the misleading Special Term deposit product BoI advertisements.

Agreed. I don't know what the point of that ad is.

BOI account closed today after 19 years. I was hit with the new €5 maintenance fee on closing as this is the start of the new quarter. I overlooked breathe's post and so thought I'd be hit with a full quarter of fees if I did it last week. Either way, I'll see if I can get it back as they are waiving the fee for accounts not used during a quarter. It all depends on your interpretation of account use.

Crazy!!! These new fees are nuts! we're going from paying nothing to almost 300 quid a year!!! But if we want to change banks what would we do with our mortgage?

PTSB generally leave these legacy accounts alone,I have 3 such accounts (free banking for life) going back a few years and have never paid a cent in charges.

We're going to move our current accounts and all associated DDs from BOI to ptsb to avail of free banking. Any suggestions re how to make this as painless as possible much appreciated, I have heard less than encouraging comments about the quality of service of the Switch Centre

Back