BoI to change fee structure - No Longer Possible to Get Free Banking

Personally I would rather switch the DDs over myself and manually feed the account until I was sure everything was ok, then switch salary and after first successful salary payment to new account, close old one.

my switch is complete. No major issues.
The first guy that contacted me in PTSB was a bit of a muppet, but the rest who have contacted me since were fine.
I cancelled some of my old DD's and standing orders a few weeks before the switch and then let the banks transfer the rest. It all went smoothly, but did take about 10 days to complete.
PTSB's online banking is not as "smooth" as BOI's but still does everything that I need. I even opened an online savings account with them this week that only took a few mins to open and has an AER much better than the Rabo account that I am currently using.

Do they automatically give you the 1% credit interest or do you have to register with the open24 like you had to do before with PTSB as far as i Know? In the account maintenance section they have a tab for apply for credit interest but maybe this is just for old PTSB current accounts?

3 separate ads from BOI in the Irish Mail on Sunday today - a full page ad for BOI Current Account - the others for Credit Card and Savings.

They try to make a 'big deal' out of the fact that you can ring them and they will immediately give you your new BOI Current Account Number over the phone.

PTSB are obviously 'hurting' them and PTSB have a big ad to try and lure Danske Bank Customers.

I honestly thought BoI were trying to get out of current accounts with all the new fees. If not, then they have made some spectacular business mistakes. I'll be leaving them as well in February (switching everything over to free German accounts once SEPA deadline comes)

I honestly thought BoI were trying to get out of current accounts with all the new fees.

BoI are not trying to get out of the current account market. They are simply trying to make their current account products more profitable via ever increasing fees which in turn is dependent on the level of consumer inertia.

Back