BOI Change Free Banking Conditions

By the end of the day BOI may not exist and we will just have the one Irish State Bank.

Link ???

AIB may not exist as a listed entity by the end of the day, as the Indo said today.

BOI 100% nationalisation is possible but most people seem to say it will be 60-90% nationalised. Defacto a state bank like AIB, Anglo, An Post and INBS.

Lodge a minimum of €3000 over 3 months
- many peoples salaries means that's easy

Make 9 payments a quarter using 365 Online or Phone
- pay utilities(ESB, Bord Gais, SKY/upc, mobile provider), credit card, etc. each month means that's not a significant obstacle.

No-one wants to pay for something when you're used to not paying but ..
- banking is a service and not many services are free, or stay free for long
- these free deals were a competitive response to Halifax and others
- the banks are broke (or haven't you heard ?)

All in all, it's not great news, but it's not the end of the world.

Make 9 payments a quarter using 365 Online or Phone
- pay utilities(ESB, Bord Gais, SKY/upc, mobile provider), credit card, etc. each month means that's not a significant obstacle.

Not that easy. My ESB, upc and mobile phone all on DD. Had to be set up that way when I got the services. Don't think I could change to paying online? Also, ESB & upc are every second month.

Only payment I make online every month is to credit card & to savings account - would transferring money to savings a/c or say to my OH's a/c count as a payment?

Most ppl that pay utilities by direct debit avail of slightly cheaper charges.

If these direct debits are now cancelled to meet BofI's criteria to avail of free banking, this will defeat the purpose of making any extra savings on bills.

Looks like we're caught every way!

Only payment I make online every month is to credit card & to savings account - would transferring money to savings a/c or say to my OH's a/c count as a payment?[/QUOTE]

I suspect it wouldn't.......transferring money from one account to another isn't a payment but I'm open to correction on this one.

Me? I will make 3 smaller payments to my credit card each month instead of one large payment.......that will ensure that I reach 9 payments per quarter :)

would transferring money to savings a/c or say to my OH's a/c count as a payment?

If made using 365 Online or Phone - yes. I make 3 such transfers each month, so that's 9 per quarter sorted before I think of utilities, etc.

You could also shunt, say, €100, from Current to Deposit and back again, once a month. That's 2 of your 9 taken care of.

I

You could also shunt, say, €100, from Current to Deposit and back again, once a month. That's 2 of your 9 taken care of.

Why stop at 2, why not put 10 minutes aside and shunt a euro back and forth 9 times, say, at the start of each quarter?

I've got numerous a/c's with BOI, wonder if I just do a transfer 'merry-go-round' with my wages will that cover the 1000 euro lodgement?

Never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to in order to avoid paying bank charges. It bugs me also to have these charges dumped on us, but it's like any other service that we use, we now have to pay for it. This is not the first time we had bank charges.
For me it's not worth the hassle of changing account numbers, cards etc.

Never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to in order to avoid paying bank charges.

It's called customer/consumer choice.

People have every right to feel aggrieved at these 'new' charges .... especially with the chains of debt the banks have put on us and the country for generations to come.

We're being hit with charges on all sides .... being prudent with our ever dwindling cash means we should do all we can to minimise them.

What next? Oh yes a charge for having a credit card which would be on top of the government duty. All that these extra charges are achieving is to force more and more people to carry out all banking with hard cash.

What next? Oh yes a charge for having a credit card which would be on top of the government duty. All that these extra charges are achieving is to force more and more people to carry out all banking with hard cash.

my thoughts exactly....then I guess they will introduce a charge for over the counter deposits/withdrawals.

We own the banks but they are allowed to still screw us and finally wring us out to dry.

While we must do our patriotic duty and keep coughing up.. huh... we need a revolution in this country now more than ever. Never thought I would hear myself say that and I am a passive person.

Only payment I make online every month is to credit card & to savings account - would transferring money to savings a/c or say to my OH's a/c count as a payment?

I suspect it wouldn't.......transferring money from one account to another isn't a payment but I'm open to correction on this one.

Me? I will make 3 smaller payments to my credit card each month instead of one large payment.......that will ensure that I reach 9 payments per quarter :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the idea Diver. - Do people reckon it will work to just each month divide the credit card bill in three and make three seperate payments?
Ie will multiple transfers to same account be allowed - cant find anything on the boi website to say it wont.

Most ppl that pay utilities by direct debit avail of slightly cheaper charges.

If these direct debits are now cancelled to meet BofI's criteria to avail of free banking, this will defeat the purpose of making any extra savings on bills.

Looks like we're caught every way!

I have all my utilities set up by dd but every month I make what I reckon monthly payment should be to each. The direct debit is always adjusted for these extra credits. I do this for electricity, gas and UPC as they are two monthly bills. I tend to be in credit in the summer for gas etc but means no big bill in the winter too.

I would but I don't like the idea of their card reader for on-line banking. Might opop into a branch and see if they can show me a demo of their on-line banking system. I find the AIB code card an absolute nuisance and this what made me look into BOI in the first place.

i have a currect a/c with ulsterbank pay 10e a month maintenance and all else free.. ive never had any problems with them on line or in their branches.. the card reader is only used for certain online transactions and it makes it much safer!.

Back