BOI app down ?

It usually takes a couple of days for transactions to clear. Unfortunately it will eventually show up in your account as an outbound transaction. Hope you have an overdraft because BOI in my own experience completely screw you on unauthorised ODs.
It's still not showing as an outbound transaction on my account. I only have the inbound credit of €1,200 from Revolut.

Either way, its neither here nor there. If you have a bank account, and you overdraw it without authorisation, there will be a minus balance, and if you don't have an overdraft that comes off your next lodgement. And probably some interest.
Since BOI, from my reading of their docs, don't charge for referrals or unauthorised ODs anymore, its probably going to be just interest for most people, but it could create real difficulties if you are living hand to mouth, and thought you were onto a good thing thats now going to horribly backfire on you with additional interest charges.

People are adults, after all, it should have been obvious to anybody who thinks that a withdrawal from their own account would be debited against that account sooner or later.

Either way, its neither here nor there. If you have a bank account, and you overdraw it without authorisation, there will be a minus balance, and if you don't have an overdraft that comes off your next lodgement. And probably some interest.
Since BOI, from my reading of their docs, don't charge for referrals or unauthorised ODs anymore, its probably going to be just interest for most people, but it could create real difficulties if you are living hand to mouth, and thought you were onto a good thing thats now going to horribly backfire on you with additional interest charges.

People are adults, after all, it should have been obvious to anybody who thinks that a withdrawal from their own account would be debited against that account sooner or later.
Well you will only have a minus balance if you have not sent it back of course.

(If anything the memes generated as a result are hilarious. 'As the great man Fr Ted Crilly said, the money was just resting in my account')

The Independent reported
“ huge queues at ATMs around the country last night, with people mistakenly believing they were getting free cash”.

Wonder how that defence will work
“I thought it was free”?

... it just shows how blatantly dishonest society is now.
and how easily a cohort of people will believe TikTok.

Many posts were saying that the bank could not reclaim the money and that was "the law". :)

Yer honour - Joey from ThickTok said it was the law, so I'm not paying it back cos Joey is right

The queues formed as people reported €1,000 appearing unsolicited in their accounts on Tuesday and social media was flooded with images and footage of queues.

I doubt that this is true. The money was not "unsolicited".

Update: The Irish Times have changed their headline and removed that line from the article.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how an unauthorised overdraft impacts one's credit record?

I presume going overdrawn by a few days is not noted?

Brendan

BOI have said no-one who withdrew money will face any negative consequences no matter the circumstances.

Even if they don't return it?

Obviously not. They will still be overdrawn if they don't return it but they won't be charged interest or unathorised overdraft fees or have negative credit impact. That goes for people who went 1 euro overdrawn or people who transferred 1000 euro to revolut and chanced their arms....

If people choose not to return the money that isn't theirs, interest will be the least of their worries....

It's not really different. Anyone who doesn't return the money could face issues in the longer term if still overdrawn at the end of the month when they report to CC unless they talk to BOI. They are not charging overdraft fees including unauthorised overdraft fees just because you withdrew more money than you had in your account.

When asked if customers who withdrew money they didn't have from their accounts would be subject to interest rates or unauthorised overdraft fees, a BOI spokesperson said: “There will be no customer detriment in relation to interest in that scenario.

At the end of the day, people return the money and no consequences. Don't and there are consequences but that can't be a surprise to anyone.

Hi Sunny

It's important to clarify that the following is just not correct:

BOI have said no-one who withdrew money will face any negative consequences no matter the circumstances.
anyone who withdrew money who returns it will probably not face any negative consequences

Anyone who does not return the money or who takes time to return the money will face serious negative consequences.

Brendan

Hi Sunny

It's important to clarify that the following is just not correct:

anyone who withdrew money who returns it will probably not face any negative consequences

Anyone who does not return the money or who takes time to return the money will face serious negative consequences.

Brendan

Would have thought that was pretty obvious to be honest but ok, it was badly worded.

My only point is that people earlier were talking about fraud for people who knowingly withdrew funds. You yourself are quoted on RTE as saying BOI are unlikely be as lenient to people who knowingly withdrew money they knew they didn't have or withdrew unusually large amounts... That's not the case.

Anyone who ever thought or still thinks they can hold on to the funds without consequence are unlikely to read AAM to be honest......

I use Revolut with AIB and it comes out of AIB into my Revolut account simultaneously and I can withdraw it.

I assume it's the same with BoI?

I very much doubt that Revolut allows people to take out money which is not there and then spend it via Revolut. Only for Revolut to find a few days later that there is no money.

Brendan
Irish banks don't support SEPA Instant Payments. If the AIB account is being debited instantly, I assume it is a Debit Card payment rather then a SDD.

Back