BOI and Solicitor letter

Lauralashes

Hi

Just want to ask a question about an outstanding amount on a BOI account. The laser facility allowed my partner to withdraw funds over and above what he had in the account and as a result of this the amount of €330 is due to BOI - As we have not been able to repay this amount, due to not budgeting for it, they have sent the account to a solicitor to retrieve whats owed.

Do we have any argument in the fact that there wasn't an Overdraft on the acc but they still allowed funds to be withdrawn and also the fact that they have the incorrect name on the account - instead of my partners name they have his surname as his first name and my surname as his surame, hope that makes sense.

I know that he spent the money but he wasn't keeping tabs on how much was in the account and thats how the amount became overdrawn, surely if you don't have money in your account you should't be allowed to spend it!

Thanks in advance for any answers.

"Do we have any argument in the fact that there wasn't an Overdraft on the acc?"

No. Money was taken, money was spent, money is owed back.

They'll work out the correct name eventually.

mf

Why not contact them and arrange to pay €50 a month or whatever you can afford ? I'm sure they would not have a problem as long as it was a sensible deal (Don't say €5 a month)

In fairness, there is probably a courtesy margin built in to avoid people being inadvertantly embarrassed once they use laser or write cheques.

I know a couple of times I've written cheques which have taken me over my limit but AIB honoured them and I'm glad they did.

You should just try to come to an arrangement with them.....you spent the money after all.

Years ago when I used to be with NIB (now this is definitely 20 years ago) I had a cash card with them. The a/c let me take out as and when. It, at the time, did not show the balance. One day I received a statement to say I was IEP20 overdrawn or whatever the figure was. When I went in to pay, I asked to speak to the bank manager - I mentioned to him, that I was not able to see my balance on my a/c - he agreed it was wrong, and never went any further. I paid what I was overdrawn by, and after this long winded story, some things obviously never change.

Recently BOI allowed a Direct Debit go from my account. It was only €50 but i questioned them as i do not have an overdraft facility. I was informed that because there were regular payments into my account they let the DD through...in fact I hadn't had ANY money lodged to my account since December (this was may).

I asked them to ensure not to let my account become overdrawn in the future, paid what was o/d to them, they changed a few settings on my account and i've not been o/d since!

Back