Home Block apartment insurance claim

N

nilaw

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I own a first floor aparmtnet. This time last year my tenant told me as he moved out that there was water coming out under the bath. I got a plumber in to have a look and he discovered the waste from the bath had never been properly connected and so had been leaking for six years. I claimed on the block insurance and took up bathroom floor, put in new timbers, insulation, retiled etc. I got an assessor to work on my behalf. On friday I got a call from my current tenants to say there was a problem with the washing machine in the kitchen. I got a plumber in who discovered the machine was leaking onto the plug and causing it to short. The whole kitchen floor is destroyed as well as the living room floor (it is all one big area) Am i entitled to claim again, will this cause problems with the management company etc, will the insurance company evern agree to cover me?? I got a quote of 5K not including the kitchen which also needs to be replaced as it has started to rot at the bootom due to the water. Any replies appreciated.

I'd say you would be covered. The kitchen claim has nothing to do with the bathroom. This is the purpose of Insurance. You might have to claim against your own contents policy for some of the items in the kitchen which may not be covered by the Block Policy.

I hope you have your own contents policy! I assume you have as you let it out and would have needed it to cover your liability. The possible problem with this is that if you were responsible for the installation of your washing machine then the block policy may not cover your loss here. It will be your contents policy that should be covering the whole thing!!

Not sure if you are covered but you do know that by claiming or repeat claiming by owners on the block insurance infact pushes up the insurance premium up by thousands.

Which impacts on the budget for the future management fees. Just a note to take on board for all those thinking of claiming off block insurance.

Also it is your own responsibilty to ensure your apt was snagged properly in the first place and any leaks at time of purchase should have been sorted out there and then. If leaks were left for 6 yrs (going by your post) then it's your own negligence. The kitchen not sure - contents should cover some of it, but never heard of plugs for washing machine at ground floor level - the plugs aren't the accessible through counter presses and thus shouldn't be near water??

Sorry, maybe a bit harsh it premium's in my apt complex is going up by about 20k due to claims and a lot is by landlords. And at a time when people are looking for fees to come down, unfortunately they can't due to these claims.

Hi,

I am a loss assessor and have dealt with claims that were very similar to yours.
There should be no problem with the claim.
From what you have written it would appear that all of the items damaged ie kitchen and floor are building items and not contents.
These are therefore covered on the block policy

You will be covered by the block policy for the water damage to the apartment structure. Of course you are entitled to claim. Also, remember, you as an apartment owner are a member of the management company.

Ed, depends whether the floor was fitted by the builders or the owner themselves. Correct?

Ed, depends whether the floor was fitted by the builders or the owner themselves. Correct?

No regardless who it was fitted by it would be treated as a building item as it would be a permanently fixed item (unlike carpets which would be treated as contents)

why so? I wouldnt expect a block insurance policy to cover items that weren't fitted. In fact RSA's contents policy notes that floors and tiles etc are covered under if there are no buildings cover in place or if the premises is rented out, etc.

why so? I wouldnt expect a block insurance policy to cover items that weren't fitted. In fact RSA's contents policy notes that floors and tiles etc are covered under if there are no buildings cover in place or if the premises is rented out, etc.

It is the norm for a building policy to cover building items and a timber floor would be considered as such.

It is the norm for a building policy to cover building items and a timber floor would be considered as such.

Not in my experience - although that was admittedly when all flooring in the apartment(s) was fitted by the owners. I was under the impression that flooring was usually specifically excluded from block policies.

On any apartment claim that I have dealt with where there
has been damage to flooring the building policy has looked after the timber floor and if there were carpets they were dealt with under the contents policy (if there was one)

I have never had a situation where a building insurer has declined to pay the costs relating to the repair or replacement of a timber floor regardless of who installed it.

Back