Bit of advice please guys

johnny

hi all!!!...Basically i moving in to a new home shortly, and i need to finance furnishing the place..Now i have €3000 in savings, but my dillemma is i have also €3000 tied up in shares with the credit union,however that is held against a loan i have for €13000 euros..the apr on the loan is 9.5, i thinking the deposit rate is around 3per cent, i also have aloan with BOI for €10000, with an apr of 8.2..Ive heard that on loans over 20,000. the are charging a rate of (6.9 i think)..i was thinking of of getting a a top up on my loan with the BOI to pay off my credit union loan, thus releasing my €3000 in shares for my " furnishing purposes"...Im just wondering on the basis of those facts is that the best way to go about it????...Or has anyone any more viable solutions?????...( oh and before i forget i havent got a mortgage as its a council property!!!!..

Re: Bit of advice please guys!!!

Don't try to furnish it all at once. Use some of your savings to buy the basics and wait until you can afford the rest!! Try www.Jumbletown.ie to try to pick up some free bits and pieces. There are other free sites mentioned elsewhere on this forum too. You can't afford to buy furniture....you're up to your eyes in debt!! :eek:

Johnny,

Won't offer you any financial advice as I owe money from buying my own place earlier this year. I didn't have a scrap of furniture when I moved in but I knew I'd crack up living in an unfurnished house. So I borrowed money and bought what I needed. It's tough but I'm getting the loan down. I'm not saying this is what you should do but it worked for me. I know people that lived on concrete floors for years so they could save to get the most expensive flooring out there. Each to their own!

Have a look at www.freecycle.org, its a site where people list anything they want rid of. I put some stuff on it previously, and had no problem getting rid. Im sure some of the stuff is rubbish, but there seems to be a lot of newish stuff on it too. Also [broken link removed] also have a section where people can offload their surplus requirements, might be worth a look.

Most people have second hand furniture when they start off, makes you appreciate the real stuff when you get can afford to buy it..

Re the loans, sometimes the low rates related to fixed term loans and these generally cant be paid off early, if your circumstances change....you are tied into 5 years etc etc.

Good luck!

many thanks guys for the advice..I'll certainly put it to good use!!!!!...

johnny

I know someone who got a ryan air flight to Scotland, went to Ikea and spent 1000 on furnishings. This included 190 to get all the flat pack stuff shipped back. That was enough to get all the basics in place. I wouldn't go nuts at this stage, just get what are essentials.

I got most of my stuff second hand - over the course of the 18 month lead in to actually signing over (bought off the plans). I'm very thankful that I did as there were still major expenses which I didnt fully appreciate (and i'd imagine most first time buyers would probably have experienced this).
Buying stuff in advance meant that I could get good deals on items as the came round - and get stuff that suited.
Washing machine was free - and still working fine six months later.
Dishwasher - 50 euro plus 40 for tray wheels for it - working fine six months later.
fridge - 50 euro. again - working fine.
Cermamic hob & single under counter oven - 275 euro.
Loads of smaller stuff bought in lidl & aldi through the course of the year as they put stuff on special offer.

Fact of the matter is that there are a plenty of people out there throwing out perfectly good stuff - just to get the latest 'integrated' appliance, etc. Look out for total house clearances - this can often mean that theres nothing to fear in buying appliances, etc - as theyre not likely to be ofloading them cos theyre causing trouble - they just need them out the door.

again guys many thanks for all trhe help and info!!...i think i'll defintely take the line most of you have mentioned!!!!!...out of interest does anybody think that id be better of getting aBOI loan to clear off my credit union one???? or will i be much better off in the long run??????...

Back