Big black house spiders.

GJPC

Hi

New dormer house built two/three years ago. Plagued with big black house spiders and I mean big. Mostly found in bedrooms and sitting/living rooms. Killing 3/4 a night. Any idea on clearing this once and for all before my wife goes cracked.

Thanks!

Lengthy discussion on the disposal of spiders here.

Must say, I have to agree with bskinti: :)

The spiders we have in this country are harmless clean and very good workers, they set traps for to catch them dirty spitting goo house flys that put their saliva on your food and proceed to suck up whatever they can, the spider don't want to be in your house, they would rather be outside under the eve hiding in dark holes or somewhere where they can set traps and ambush flys etc, and I love it when they catch the maggot infested blue bottle, 3 cheers for the spider!!!

I just don't get it.......I was called into my neighbours house to dispose of a spider last week....She was petrified.....This girl is a Garda based in Dublin City Centre....How can she be scared of spiders and have chosen a career that will put her in front of junkies, thiefs and scumbags on a near daily basis !??.....

On a more serious note though, PLEASE DO NOT KILL SPIDERS.....Catch them and release them outside if necessary but without them we are all in trouble....

r2d2

Yes, I know of these big (HUGE) spiders. I think they're seasonal. They are so big that I can't catch them the usual way ........ i.e. ball up a paper napkin and scoop them up, and put them outside. So I've come up with a novel approach: use your brush and pan. You may end up killing them if you try a paper towel but if you are gently sweep them into the pan and throw them outside, then they will live on in this world and you will feel better about it.

I usually put a glass over them and then slide a sheet of paper against the wall or floor.
Harmless!

With all the wet weather we've been having a small invasion of these BIG black spiders in our house. Just wondering if anyone has the name of a repellant that I understand keeps these outside by putting it around the door and windows (may have been mentioned on the Gerry Ryan show a few weeks back). Unfortunately I am not capable of getting anyway close to bring them outside so it's usually death by shoe/ book, I would prefer keep them out, keep me happy and keep them alive, anyone able to help?

I have a daughter who freaks at all spiders so for the sanity of the rest of the household I bought a gadget that hoovers them up humanely. They can then be dropped outside.
The gadget is battery-driven and is in the form of a plastic tube c. 35cm long x 2 or 3 cm diameter. The battery and a switch are in the handle.
Procedure: Sneak up to the spider, position the open end of the tube over it, switch it on and it sucks it up.
Sorry I can't remember where I bought it, but it was definitely in Ireland.

you can buy a bug catcher in the Gadget Store in the Jervis St centre. It catches spiders effectively and humanely and you can deposit them outside.

http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/bug-catcher-749135.jpg

That's what it looks like...great for Daddylonglegs and sometimes flys and wasps too.

It catches body of spider and leaves legs dangling so they can't escape till you let them go. Fotawildlife park have them too. Don't know where you're based. But am sure you can get them in other places too. Am terrified of spiders but I agree with other posters...they have their place here.

you can buy a bug catcher in the Gadget Store in the Jervis St centre. It catches spiders effectively and humanely and you can deposit them outside.

http://www.strangenewproducts.com/uploaded_images/bug-catcher-749135.jpg

That's what it looks like...great for Daddylonglegs and sometimes flys and wasps too.

It catches body of spider and leaves legs dangling so they can't escape till you let them go. Fotawildlife park have them too. Don't know where you're based. But am sure you can get them in other places too. Am terrified of spiders but I agree with other posters...they have their place here.

Why don't you just get a glass, plonk it over them and slide a piece of cardboard under it. You can then dispose of them in the garden. Yes I know its hard to look at them and be anywhere near them but this is coming from someone who used to stand and scream when I saw one.

I've used clove oil before on doors and windows to keep spiders out. It worked well as far as I could tell. Smells like crap though!

Why don't you just get a glass, plonk it over them and slide a piece of cardboard under it. You can then dispose of them in the garden. Yes I know its hard to look at them and be anywhere near them but this is coming from someone who used to stand and scream when I saw one.

While I wish I could even attempt to do this, between the speed of them and the fact I'd need to be blowing into a brown bag to keep breathing when I'd even got that close to them I think thats a non runner.

I'm off to buy some clove olive, keeping them out is my main priority and if this doesn't work I'm off to Jervis for a bug catcher...

Thanks for the advice.

In my experience most spiders (particularly house spiders) that we get in Ireland can only dash about for a limited period of time and they seem to tire very quickly thus making it much easier to catch them and dispose of them (e.g. into the garden) using some of the approaches mentioned above.

If you have the reaction above to spiders then it sounds like you have an irrational (albeit common) phobia to them which might respond well to CBT or some other form of structured/logical thinking about the issue. The key thing to remember is that they are completely harmless!

harmless yes...but yuck! they're so ugly some of them.... urgggh!!!
I know, I know, I'm no oil painting myself but still...I prefer to maintain a safe distance with the bug catcher. I used to do postcard and glass job but was stressful having to look at them that close. Life is much less stressful now :D

God bless the inventor of the bug catcher...

As I said - irrational.

i was coming down the stairs one day, and heard some crawling/tapping kinda sound, on further investigation it was a HUGE spider walking across the sitting room floor.

scared witless, screaming and flinging random footwear at it (bad aim btw) i eventually managed to bash it with a sweeping brush. it stayed in a curled up 2" ball for the next 24hrs or so untill bf came home to clear it up.

Lengthy discussion on the disposal of spiders here.

Must say, I have to agree with bskinti: :)

The spiders we have in this country are harmless clean and very good workers, they set traps for to catch them dirty spitting goo house flys that put their saliva on your food and proceed to suck up whatever they can, the spider don't want to be in your house, they would rather be outside under the eve hiding in dark holes or somewhere where they can set traps and ambush flys etc, and I love it when they catch the maggot infested blue bottle, 3 cheers for the spider!!!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Spiders (of the Irish variety) are among the most useful creatures along with honeybees. Theyre 100% scared of us and they are totally harmless. They purify the air and water and kill all sorts of nasty things such as disease carrying bluebottles. So spare a thought for our native spiders. We can easily live side by side as compatible species. They are beneficial for us. Sure they are ugly but as human beings we should be able to see beyond mere physical appearance. Many people arent exactly oil paintings themselves. Theres much more to life than first impressions. Arm yourself with some facts, reserve your judgement and then take another look at the humble spider! I think if after this you made a list of all your fears and tried to put the spider in there on a scale of 1 to 10 you'd find it hard to find a rational reason for giving the humble house spider a high rating.

i was coming down the stairs one day, and heard some crawling/tapping kinda sound, on further investigation it was a HUGE spider walking across the sitting room floor.

scared witless, screaming and flinging random footwear at it (bad aim btw) i eventually managed to bash it with a sweeping brush. it stayed in a curled up 2" ball for the next 24hrs or so untill bf came home to clear it up.

It's more thabn likely a wolf spider

[broken link removed]
Hardly HUGE though? And still harmless unless susie1 is referring to living abroad or some non (Irish) native spider kept as a pet that got loose or something...

Hardly HUGE though? And still harmless unless susie1 is referring to living abroad or some non (Irish) native spider kept as a pet that got loose or something...

was in Ireland, and it was HUGE, OH thought i was blowing it out of proportion but when he seen the size of the dead thing he knew it would've been bigger when it was running around alive.

Our 2 year old would have had great fun playing with a "ba-ba" (spider) of that size. Unfortunately the spiders always come out of such playtime worse off! :D

Back