Beware of cost of internet usage on you phone

westside

I am on the o2 Clear 50 price plan. This month I noticed I had a larger that usual bill. I decided to look at my bill and noticed I had been charged €12.11 for 1.61MB data download. Here is the extract from my bill

CategorySub-CategoryDate-TimeDestinationCalled NumberDuration/
Volume CostData Data Usage 19/06/08 09:01Data 1.61 MB12.11

I complained to o2 and was told the solution was to buy a data pack for €7 per month for 250MB.

If you are on a o2 price plan without having the €7 euro data add-on then be aware that you are being charged 10cent per kb.

If you are on a o2 price plan without having the €7 euro data add-on then be aware that you are being charged 10cent per kb.

Thats incorrect, if it was 10c per kb then that would be a charge of about 164 euro. I think it is 1c per kb if you dont have a data bundle add-on.

hi Aristotle25.

you are correct. The price is 1cent per kb. from the o2 website

GPRS Data1c per kb (1kb min charge per session)

When on holiday, I noticed that T-Mobile were charging €0.138661/Mb

Data roaming costs are just crazy. It can easily cost €13/mb while abroad. And, just the front page of the Irish times weighs in around a megabyte. You could buy a car for the cost it would take to download a CD. I have an HTC TyTyn and use a utility called GPRS Monitor which switches off the data use when I'm roaming. It also monitors my local usage and can warn if I'm getting close to using up my quota. Might be worth looking to see if anything like that is available for your phone.

You guys are lucky because there are lot of people that got charged for more than that when downloading or browsing. Just check dslreports.com for those news.

Back