Best place to sell a 2nd hand car?

I put an ad in Autotrader a couple of years ago & did not get a single reply. Put the same ad in Buy&Sell & got a few replies. Try boards.ie, prices are not too high but you will get offers.

I used a colour pic. ad in the Sunday Times last year and got zero response.

Very dissapointing.

Selling a car privately is tough, I think no matter where you put it in.

GO for all the free ones anyway.

Try an add in a local shop I suppose.

You tend to get a lot of time waster if anything at all.

Depends how quick you need to get the money out of the car.

Don't over price, people tend to think there car is worth more than it is, false hope.

You could always put the car into an auction like the the one in Ashbourne.

Good luck.

I tried Buy and Sell, boards.ie, intranet noticeboard, at work friend's work. Few responses, but ended up trading in.

It can be hard to sell a car privately for the price you want.
If your not getting any interest in the car it could be that your looking for too much for it.
Might be better to drop your price for a quicker sale,
then go and haggle for your next car to make up the difference.

try ebay.ie as well, but make sure you put a reserve price on your car.

I tried cbg and a few other pay sites and got nothing. Then posted a pic on and had it sold a few days later

I disagree with most replies here. I have sold 4 car privately over the past 6 years with very little difficutly

The key issue is price. You must remember that if a garage is advertising a car for sale for 20,000 there is significant scope for a cash buyer to get a big discount and get a warranty. This of course applies to you if you manage to sell you car privately. You will be in the driving seat when it comes to negotiation. Therefore the key is to price the car to sell and it must have a full service history, with good tyres and recently serviced if anywhere close to being due.

I suggest advertising for the lowest price you can accept (maybe with a couple of hundred euro for barganining). When you get a call explain that you have advertised to sell and there is very little room for negotiation.

I sold my last car via carzone.ie last year and would recommend it. I dont recall getting many timewasters and had 3 strong candidates for purchase.

I agree with westside...Lots of people base their prices on that of garages. Also, and this is a natural thing, people always value their car more than what it is worth.

I have used Autotrader and CBG to sell cars but with little success. I sold a 21K car in the Buy&Sell but again there are alot of tyre kickers. Serious bidders looking for cars tend to got to the Autotrader and CBG.

I have sold a few second-hand cars over the years, mainly through work. I just recently sold a car that I had advertised on cbg.ie and carzone.ie.

I would say that cbg.ie has a higher number of viewers but is more expensive (as you have to pay to renew your ad every 3 weeks).
Carzone has a growing audience and the added benefit that your ad stays on until you sell the car, regardless of how long it takes....

Back