Best Place(Options) for investing Sterling in Irish Republic

HMCE

Currently with 90K STG in the Anglo Irish I am concerned about the following:
1. The investment is earning almost nothing 0.55%, and I would like to invest elsewhere but do not know what the best options are. I am currently resident in Spain, wife and two children under age of 3. I don't feel I know enough about Spain to invest here nor do I have enough Spanish to be comfortable pursuing investments here.
2. Am concerned as to how safe this investment is with Anglo Irish Bank
3. Can I as an Irish Citizen still invest in my own country i.e. Ireland (Republic) even though I am not resident there. For e.g. RaboDirect refuses to allonw non residents to invest in any investment options

Isle of Man is best place for investing money in Anglo Irish Bank. Anglo is goverment garanteed and they are giving 3.7% fixed for year, 3.5% for months. Irish banks in ireland are ripping customers who want to deposit sterling. UK banks won't open accounts if you are irish resident. Totally unfair. Amything we can do about this? We are in the Eu now you know!

Thank you rana23 for your reply, I totally agree with you, how come we are in the EU and as soon as an ordinary member of society wants to take advantage of the no borders idea we were made to believe back in 2001, we find we can not open accounts anywhere. I feel I am stuck with the Anglo Irish, am really waiting for Sterling to recover and then I will convert to Euro, but while I am waiting I am gambling with the loss of approx 6K Euro a year...... Can I open and Account easily in the Isle of Man Anglo Irish Bank?

There should not be an issue.

Their contact details on the Isle of man are here:
[broken link removed]

Thank you for your message Fungus, most appreciate and I do have a few questions relating to the Isle of Man option as follows:

1. Having an Account in Dublin Anglo Irish Bank, is it possible for an Irish Citizen (Currently resident in Spain married with 2 children) to open an account in the Isle of Man, What is required by the Bank from me to open this account?

2. The Anglo Irish Bank in Dublin is now a very secure bank being secured by the Government up to Sept 2010, how secure is the Anglo Irish Bank in the Isle of Man?

3. Is it easy to get money from the account in the Isle of Man when required, I would hope that I do not need to visit in order to withdraw money by cheque.......

4. What rate of Interest is currently on offer for 30day notice Sterling Deposit Account, and is this Rate likely to reduce to 0.53 % like it did in Dublin Branch?

Thank you for all your help

HMCE, I suggest you ask Anglo IOM the questions and see if they can address your concerns. Irish Nationwide is also in the Isle of Man......

1. Having an Account in Dublin Anglo Irish Bank, is it possible for an Irish Citizen (Currently resident in Spain married with 2 children) to open an account in the Isle of Man, What is required by the Bank from me to open this account?

See [broken link removed]

2. The Anglo Irish Bank in Dublin is now a very secure bank being secured by the Government up to Sept 2010, how secure is the Anglo Irish Bank in the Isle of Man?

100% state guaranteed until Sept 2010.

3. Is it easy to get money from the account in the Isle of Man when required, I would hope that I do not need to visit in order to withdraw money by cheque.......

You do not need to visit the IOM.

4. What rate of Interest is currently on offer for 30day notice Sterling Deposit Account, and is this Rate likely to reduce to 0.53 % like it did in Dublin Branch?

Unlikely, there is more GBP deposit competition on the IOM.

Also is it not true that in the isle of man, you do not have to pay any taX.
mIGHT BE WORTH YOUR WHILE TO VISIT THE IOM TO open an account there.
...the craic is mighty in the iom!!!

Back