Best option for speculative punt of €200 on some shares

phildin

I'm thinking of putting a small amount (lets say €200) into into some low value shares as a speculative punt. I'm not expecting the shares to rocket up in the short term but given a long enough horizon (say 5 years) they could return significantly and they probably won't become worthless.

What's the best approach to this type of trade? My thinking was to find an online execute only brokerage but these seem to charge maintenance fees. I don't mind the execution fees but maintenance fees would make an investment of this scale pointless. Are there brokerages that don't charge maintenance fees or is there some other way to avoid these?

Thanks,
Phil

The costs of buying and selling the shares would wipe out any possible gain you might make.

If you want a punt, you could try some sort of spread bet or series of spread bets.

You would probably lose all your money, but you might get a return with low costs.

It's betting rather than investing.

Brendan

So you're looking for another Cove Energy type bet? Penny stocks that come good? It's not a good use of €200. You'd be better off going out for a nice meal.

Best to do min 1k for each investment. As Brendan said you will get eaten alive by costs relative to the amount you invest. Irish and UK stocks also have 1% stamp duty paid on purchase.

Back