Best fuel for multi-fuel stove fitted with a back boiler to heat the rads & hot water

No, I would have no concerns as long as the solid fuel system was designed properly and not induce the entry of oxygeneted water into the system causing corrosion and sludge build up, re: position of open vent and cold feed.

Hi Pache (& villa1 if you can help also), why do I need to chemically treat my system each year & how do I do same? What is the reference to oxygenated water and as I presume it is "unhealthy", how do I seek to avoid this issue? Thanks

Firstly, I would not treat your heating system water every year because there is no need. The plumbing/heating contrator will add a corrosion prohibitor when finally filling your heating system(after flushing out). I would recommend topping up your corrosion inhibitor approximatelly once every three years in conjunction with any servicing that has to carried out on in-situ heating appliances.
Oxygenated water in your heating system is caused by pump-over via the open vent in an open heating system. This water is pumped up the vent pipe (because of poor heating design) and flows into the feed and expansion cistern taking with it oxygen. Oxygen +water +steel(radiators/boiler) = rust build up and sludging, then pinholes in radiators and leaks.
Oxygenated water will also enter a heating system due to a leak(s).
Do not confuse treating heating water with the treatment of private water supplies, whether they are hard or soft.

Hi Pache (& villa1 if you can help also), why do I need to chemically treat my system each year & how do I do same? What is the reference to oxygenated water and as I presume it is "unhealthy", how do I seek to avoid this issue? Thanks

Because running your underfloor heating directly linked to solid fuel on an open vented heating system will cause furring,a process where the inner walls of your underfloor heating pipe become coated with a layer of oxide thus reducing the flow of water through the pipework and in severe,untreated cases,total blockage.
This results in an inefficient,lasy, system that cannot serve the purpose for which it was intended.

Underfloor heating should be pressurised for it to operate efficiently.

Locate the make of your underfloor system through any brand name visable on the system components or contacting your installer or supplier and ask this supplier/manafacturer does your system carry any warranty against corrosion whilst not connected to a pressurised system.

Please post these findings.

Meanwhile fmmc,you should not have any worries in relation to causing permenant damage to your underfloor system as the associated problems can be rectified.

This means in straight forward language the pipework that is your underfloor heating will need a good flushing out and re-treated with an addative every so often.This flushing takes place at your underfloor heating manifold .

Firstly "Furring" is caused by temporary hard water and results in hard limescale deposits on electical heating elements in hot water systems and in some exteme cases primary flow and return pipes fitted in Direct hot water systems
Furring is not found in central heating systems, but sludging and corrosion poblems will become prevelant in as I have already explained - badly designed open vented heating systems.
I will state again that I see no problem with running underfloor heating from an open vented appliance.
If underfloor has to run on a closed system, this rules out all open vented heating appliance, stoves, ranges etc.
The system is not a huge feat of engineering:)

Boiler to hot water cyclinder, open vented gravity circuit
Boiler to buffer tank, buffer tank to underfloor manifold, manifold to circuits.

As I said previously, nothing, once the system is designed and installed by a competant plumbing contractor.

Back