Best car for new driver

Xsue

I'm thinking of buying my 20 year old a car. She passed her test over two years ago but has lived abroad since. She will be coming back to start college in September and given the shortage of accommodation I think a car would give her the option of commuting.

I know very little about cars but think I could spend up to €8k.

What should I be looking at from a second hand car? And are any particular models recommended?

Daughter just bough a VW polo as her first car. Not sure what you would get for 8K but in terms of insurance its going to be high and worth maybe putting a parent/grandparent on as a named driver might help it did with us. There’s a 2013 polo on cars Ireland for 8.5 but mileage is going to be high so you need to shop around. I think its a bit of luck with second hand cars obviously the mileage is an indicator and service history etc but I have some work colleagues who have older second hand small cars for commuting and are driving hassle free with no issues whatsoever. Efficiency and running costs obviously need to be considered but something small maybe depending on the commuting distance.

Honda and Toyota always score highly when it comes to reliability. I'd take a look at the Honda Jazz or Toyota Yaris. Both small, reliable and easier to manage for a new driver. Running costs should be low also.

I'll chime in for a Hyundai. Bought an '09 i10 in the north for €7k inc. VRT etc. 8 years ago. Absolutely trouble free for the last 8 years. Passes the NCT every year, servicing and fuel costs are minimal.

Consider an automatic instead of a manual - it's just better.
Doing the test in an automatic means you'll only qualify to drive autos, but that's becoming less of an issue with EVs taking over.

The newer the car, the more advanced will be the safety features.

While most cars of the last 10/15 years will have airbags, one particular feature that I would advocate looking out for is rear bumper sensors.

They’re a great source of reassurance for drivers of all levels but particularly for new drivers.

Back