Motor Being ripped off by insurance company over stolen car!!

Elainek

Ok so had my car insured taxed and NCT, it was stolen 21 days later insurance company offer me 1200 but I'm to pay the thee hundred excess, I said no they offered 1400 I still said no and asked for proof where they got their figure, links to cars they sent me where not as good a car as mine over double the mileage!! What I want to know is with third party fire and theft can I ask mt insurance company to replace my car (98 Honda Integra) like for like? Really need help her every1 I speak to on phone talks down to me like I know nothing about cars and mine was worth nothing!! Any advice?

My experience. I had an older car, had just gotten 2yr nct, taxed for the year and thought great ill get another 2 yrs driving out of it. Got rear ended and car was written off, insurance offered €1200.00 and I argued it was worth more ( it was to me as I had no intention of changing it and was happy at to drive it for the next 2 yrs) I argued with them for a while but they wouldn't agree to repair it ( not financially worth it as it would cost €2600.00) so I asked how they decided the value. They gave me the engineers no who assessed it so I rang and he told me it was an average of the couple of cars he checked out on carzone etc. I did some research and came back to him, eventually got him up his assessment by €250.00 ( a lot to me at the time) insurance would replace the car, wouldn't fix it and withheld €500.00 which I had to collet from the scrap merchant that came to take it away so basically I doubt you will get much joy from them, though best of luck with it.

They wont replace the car for you, as in give you a similar car. You basically get what they call the 'market value'. If you had extras on the car, be sure you tell the motor assessor as it might affect the value.

How much do you think it was worth, and why? If you have a reasoned argument with them, you might get an increase.

Back