begining martial arts

kerinsp

Hi,
has anyone taken up martial arts in their 30's? I am looking for something to do to keep fit and rather than going jogging which I hate or pumping iron in the gym (tired of that now) i am thinking of starting kick-boxing or something.
I am a bit uneasy about starting at 32 though. I mean if the place was full of 15 year olds all well able to kick my ass I think I would just leave it. Is kick boxing any good for self defence?

kerinsp said:
Hi,
has anyone taken up martial arts in their 30's? I am looking for something to do to keep fit and rather than going jogging which I hate or pumping iron in the gym (tired of that now) i am thinking of starting kick-boxing or something.
I am a bit uneasy about starting at 32 though. I mean if the place was full of 15 year olds all well able to kick my ass I think I would just leave it. Is kick boxing any good for self defence?

Excellent way of keeping fit while also learning to defend yourself and lets face it in todays world it's handy to know how to get yourself out of trouble and nobody will kick your ass while training it's up to yourself whether you want to spar or not.

Good Luck ;)

you're not alone - I too am thinking the same thing, procrastinating about it though rather than having done anything yet. The thoughts of showing up at a beginners class and finding it's full of 8yr olds is a bit off-putting.
Any D15 adult beginners classes anyone knows of? I don't know enough about the diff types of martial arts to specify which one.

any of you guys know if kick boxing is good for self defense though. I suppose you get the basics of boxing which would be great to have but there are other clubs that caught my eye too. Might pop along to the kick boxing place this week for a look.

Hi - I do believe that Kick Boxing, in fact any form of martial art would be beneficial to you as a form of self defence. However one of the better forms for self defence would be Jiu Jitsu

Bee

Back