Beaumont Hospital in Crisis

annet

I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this experience of A&E unit in Beaumont Hospital.

My mother was admitted as an ambulance emergency this afternoon. When I phoned ambulance control I was told that there was a backlog of persons waiting for ambulances and that there was only 13 ambulances to service the whole of the Dublin region.

Obviously persons are prioritized according to need. Anyway, after complaining to control and telling them that my mother was deteriorating an ambulance was eventually dispatched.

On arrival in A&E she was put queuing with the walking wounded. The system in Beaumont is that persons via the walk in wounded and ambulance cases are triaged by the same nurse. My mother was coded orange, the next down from red. Despite being semi-conscious she was not seen by a doctor till 1 hour later. She was also hypoglaecaemic and staff here didnt think it was important to give dextrose or glucagon. When you complained to the staff nurse in charge they then implement this so called visitors policy where visiting times is between 7-8pm. Anybody ever hear of visiting times in A&E for persons who arent even admitted and ironically A&E has different visiting times to hospital ward units. You ask questions including to produce the policy document and they quote health and safety - but does the need for health and safety in relation to overcrowding suddenly disappear between visiting hours.

It's now 7.10pm, she's been seen by a doctor and that's about all. Its now a case where, do I tell her in her own self interest to self-discharge herself and bring her to another hospital where I know she will be treated within a centre of excellence and be transferred to a ward or do she remain in a hospital where she'll be on a trolley for day's and where her safety is at risk.

A while ago the VHI Swift Clinic decided that my stomach pain was too severe to deal with and that I would need to see A&E in Beaumont Hospital as soon as possible. Arriving in A&E I got told that because it’s nothing dramatic (I wish there was an instrument that transfers pain) I would have to wait about 6-10 hours to be seen, but if I would feel worse or the fever go up, I should approach the counter again.

Needless to say, I went outside, grabbed a cab and went to a private hospital’s A&E where I was seen by a doctor within 15 minutes who than admitted me promptly and hours later I had the diagnosis and next day OP it was.

I always wondered what would have happened to me if I would have camped out in Beaumont.

Sure, I had to fork out a lot of money in advance for the private A&E but my insurance gave it mostly back.

Since then the 1st bill I pay every month is my health insurance, I would not like to be a poor sole who has to rely on our broken health system.

After several horrible experiences of seeing my father lying on a trolley in A&E in Tallaght for hours and hours and hours, with no proper toilet facilities and only very junior doctors in evidence, we now, if he can walk at all, get him into a car and bring him to the Beacon where he has been seen quickly by a senior doctor and given a bed within an hour.
Unfortunately, word seems to have got around, as I believe their A&E has now become much more crowded, but it still beats a public hospital any day.

Someone I know was in a public A&E department with an elderly parent recently and remarked to the doctor (when they eventually saw him) that it was a pity our TDs couldn't see the chaos. He replied that a Minister in a very relevant area had been in a few months previously and had been allowed skip the queue!!!

Some years back my father was taken to BH after suffering a stroke - he was left on a trolley in a & e for over 20 hours , then suffered another stroke whereon they transferred him to an ordinary ward and basically left him to die . I would say you have a better cahnce of survival on the side of the road than you do in that hospital. Its a disgrace

Back