BBC: UK Deposit Guarantee Changes Today

In case you were unaware, the UK FSA changes are now live, protecting the first 100,000 EUR or about 85,000 GBP in a FSA regulated bank.

Savings protection limit increases to £85,000

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12093658

The compensation limit for people who lose money if their bank, building society or credit union goes bust, has increased from £50,000 to £85,000.
The new limit starts on Friday and applies to every customer at each authorised firm.

The new limit is part of a Europe-wide requirement for each country to offer compensation equivalent to 100,000 euros.

Compensation will be paid by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) said the new higher limit would cover the "vast majority" of UK savers.

And as per email I got from DB and great infos from DublinTexas in another post Germany is also increasing the guarantee from 50K to 100K Eur from 1st January 2011 (just to stress the fact that there are some allignments going on at the moment)

Yeah, absolutely, all EU countries should be protecting the first 100,000 EUR from today via individual state guarantees.

Just noticed the individual entries in the deposit Best Buys posts still refer to £50000 - so this can now be taken as £85000 ?

I just rang Northern Rock about opening a business account and they told me that the amount guanteed depended on a number of things such as no. of employees.
Where do I find this information?

Back