Barclays Sterling Deposit Account

S

smallman

Hi, I'm a new poster to this site. I am looking to move a bit of a my savings to a sterling account. A search on google brought the following up - offshore barclays sterling account. (I can't post exact URL) due to being a new poster.

It seems easy enough to set up. I'm wondering if any onyone knows anything or has heard anything about it. I'm just puzzled that it seems that nothing like this has been mentioned on this site, despite a lot of discussion on sterling deposit accounts. The general consensus seemed to be that a trip up to the north was needed for this.

A second question - I am thinking of putting a bit of the rest of my savings in An Post or Nationwide UK Ireland. Any advice?

Hi Smallman,

I presume your refer to Barclays Wealth International?
I opened a euro account with them and it was straight forward really - send across application form and certified passport, utility bill etc. Account opened with no annual fee once you hold the equivalent of £10,000 on desposit. Small interest rate of about 1% applies.

As far as Im aware if you open an account with their London Knightsbridge branch, then it is guaranteed by the UK Compensation scheme for up to £85,000. If anyone believes this is otherwise, please feel free to correct me on this.....

I have yet to get round to transfer my savings here by the way as considering other options too before committing.

Hi Smallman,

I presume your refer to Barclays Wealth International?
I opened a euro account with them and it was straight forward really - send across application form and certified passport, utility bill etc. Account opened with no annual fee once you hold the equivalent of £10,000 on desposit. Small interest rate of about 1% applies.

As far as Im aware if you open an account with their London Knightsbridge branch, then it is guaranteed by the UK Compensation scheme for up to £85,000. If anyone believes this is otherwise, please feel free to correct me on this.....

I have yet to get round to transfer my savings here by the way as considering other options too before committing.

Yes Barclays Wealth International is the one. I'm planning on opening a sterling account. They also have savings account options

I've a savings account with them and have found them very good though the interest is low. When opening make sure the guard uses the exact wording Barclays ask you to use in certification to avoid delay (I mean *exact*!). No trip anywhere required. Also, you'll get a choice of account locations - only the London one is covered by the UK guarantee, so choose carefully.

I had a Barclays offshore account because I was working abroad, they started to get greedy with their charges so I closed it a few year ago, same with their Barclaycard charges because I was not using it regular. I did not keep large amount like €10,000 in it though.

Back