Banking Licences

edwardg

After a particularly difficult 4 month period with a bank when applying for a relatively small top-up loan (€20,000), I can only imagine the horrors that banks can visit on people in arrears or otherwise in difficulties with them. It got me to wondering about the legal basis underpinning banking activity. I assume that every bank in the state is licenced. However, I dont know how this process works for example who the licencing authority is and if it accepts submissions from members of the general public in relation to the renewal of a bank's licence. My objection would be that the bank I dealt with was not fit for purpose and I could adduce numerous examples to justify my assertion based on a complete e-mail record of my dealings with them when applying for this loan.

Not a hope !
Don't you know the Bankers have Enda and the boys in their pockets ?

Banking licences are not subject to annual renewal, so you don't have any sway in that regard. But what you are absolutely entitled to do is to lodge a complaint with the way you have been treated by them etc. provided this is justified. There are a number of requirements on banks under the Consumer Protection Code when dealing with customers and if they have not acted as required their complaints people should uphold your complaint and you may get some goodwill gesture/revised decision from them. If people don't complain when they are mistreated by individuals in banks, this will potentially continue until customers make an issue of it.

OP, if you take the time what many others have posted about the failings, dishonesty and disgusting behavior of Banks, you will form an opinion that your complaint is in the second division.

OP, if you take the time what many others have posted about the failings, dishonesty and disgusting behavior of Banks, you will form an opinion that your complaint is in the second division.
..........................................................................................
To OP & Mercman;

We as a people still have a residual feeling, that Banks and their Staff actually have some integrity and that customers ,indeed anyone, should be treated with at least a modicum of respect.
OP ,yours is not a complaint , it is but a very small manifestation of the malaise in Banking.

An old neighbour made this comment { Funny lad , how our 2 large trusted organisations have shattered our trust ,given they are supposed to be so different } I asked what he meant ,he said {God and Mammon} ie Catholic Church and Banks.!!

Back