Banking in Switzerland

long_boy

Has anybody looked at the St Columbanus product offering or other similar ones?

Are there any gotchas to look out for or that someone has spotted?

I was surprised to learn that a much higher interest rate is offered in Switzerland with a € a/c (2%) over a SwFr a/c (0.45%).

It sounds like an interesting option to me....

Has anybody looked at the St Columbanus product offering or other similar ones?

Are there any gotchas to look out for or that someone has spotted?

I was surprised to learn that a much higher interest rate is offered in Switzerland with a € a/c (2%) over a SwFr a/c (0.45%).

It sounds like an interesting option to me....

Well I'm sure I covered some of this before, but here goes:

- First of Swiss banks do not have a government guarantee scheme like the EU, there is a private scheme operated by the banks themselves, but it has some important differences: cover for a single bank is 6b which is nothing for a Swiss bank. Some where like [broken link removed], a small regional bank has over 15b in assets. So getting a 100K per customer is in question...

- Swiss banks do fail and are let go bankrupt: two banks and a stock broker have gone to the wall since 1993 alone. The general expectation is that unless it is one of the "too big to fail" banks, it will be let go to the wall without government intervention.

- As stated by Columbanus, it is true that most banks do not have a minimum deposit requirement to open a savings account with them, however most will require a residence permit because the effort involved in opening an account for a non resident makes it uninteresting for the bank!

- If you qualify as a private banking client (lets say at least 3M on deposit), then you can deal directly with the bank without any problems, so why pay an extra fee to Columanus???

- If you hold an American passport or hold a Green card, then you are not welcome at all! US tax rules impose such high admin. costs on Swiss banks that about 18 months ago most of the major banks asked US clients to close their accounts. As of about 6 months ago banks started to close all remaining accounts automatically.

The bottom line is that unless you qualify as a private banking client, there is not much chance that you will be able to open an account with one of the top flight Swiss banks. So I'd be very interested to hear from someone who availed of the services offered by Columanus AG's services....

Jim (Switzerland)

PS - People put their money in the CHF for safety, not for the return and Swiss banks know it, so there is no need to offer a high interest rate.

Thanks Jim,

I couldn't find any other threads covering this. Taking the points you make 1 by 1...

1) For the particular 'product' I'm looking at this is what I've been told "Deposits in DZ Privat Bank are 100% guaranteed by the parent bank DZB (Germanys largest bank)."
I'm not sure how the parent can guarantee deposits although I have heard of it before. I wonder is the parent in turn guaranteed though...

2) Good point...

4) I don't have deposits large enough to qualify directly as a client :(

5) In relation to the return...I agree re CHF. It is interesting that they give a 'decent' return on € accounts though I think? In other words a € a/c in Switzerland or even Germany is better than in Ireland if the € falls apart....

To be honest I cannot see how any non resident of Switzerland can open a Swiss bank account these days. When I first moved here 6 years ago I went into the bank with just my passport and my work address and was able to open an account. Then when I left I changed my address to my Irish one again no problem. I've since moved back again and changed it to my Swiss address.

However friends of mine have left Switzerland over the last 12-18 months and they have had to close their accounts because they were no longer resident in Switzerland and therefor had no Swiss address.

Back