Bank Of Scotland ( Ireland) - 3.75% Deposit Account

morpheus said:
:rolleyes: you have no idea......

I do actually :p . I also am well aware of the dangers in rolling out products without buidling all the required funtionality. This has led to huge problems with legacy products where no thought was given as to how the product would perform 10,15,20 years down the line. Anyway, that's another story.

Mark Duffy (Chief Executive of BoSI) was quoted in yesterday's Irish Times as saying that the reason the current account wasn't going to be available until next year was due to the fact that there were problems accessing the clearing system (owned in part by the major Irish banks), who would have thought................

CCOVICH said:
...... Mark Duffy (Chief Executive of BoSI) was quoted in yesterday's Irish Times as saying that the reason the current account wasn't going to be available until next year was due to the fact that there were problems accessing the clearing system (owned in part by the major Irish banks), who would have thought................

I thought that BoSI had joined IPSO last year, see [broken link removed] from the Examiner Archives.

Also, they are on the list of

According to the Examiner article, they joined IPSO in September, but were not due to become full members (i.e. have the ability to make and receive paper transfers in their own right) until November, and looking at the IPSO members list, they don't yet seem to be full members as they don't have ticks in all the boxes (like AIB, BoI, ptsb, NIB, UB and strangely, BNPP), so maybe they are still not full members?

According to the Examiner article, they joined IPSO in September, but were not due to become full members (i.e. have the ability to make and receive paper transfers in their own right) until November, and looking at the IPSO members list, they don't yet seem to be full members as they don't have ticks in all the boxes (like AIB, BoI, ptsb, NIB, UB and strangely, BNPP), so maybe they are still not full members?

: that's correct, they have not yet been issued a sort code .so therefore cannot operate their own clearing as yet, hence the delay. And this is as a result of the other members of IPSO dragging their feet.
Currently all payments are received through the central bank for the account of bank of scotland with a ref for the client name.

i don't mean to go off topic but are there any plans to introduce more banks after bosi? i have often wondered why hsbc don't open a few branches here??? hsbc are already in several countries from what i see. i understand that they do have an office in ireland but they don't do high street banking.

Alex.

Somebody else mentioned Danske Bank as another player who may be entering the market. Not sure if they already have any interest in any existing institutions here.

ClubMan said:
Somebody else mentioned Danske Bank as another player who may be entering the market. Not sure if they already have any interest in any existing institutions here.

Danske are already in the market, in the form of NIB. see [broken link removed], circa Dec 2004

see also this Mortgage Speculation from Aug 2005 (Unison requires one-time registration). We await developements with bated breath :)

irishpancake said:
Danske are already in the market, in the form of NIB. see [broken link removed], circa Dec 2004

see also this Mortgage Speculation from Aug 2005 (Unison requires one-time registration). We await developements with bated breath :)

that's very true. they did take over nib. nib was owned by national australia bank until recently.

Alex.

Well, I sauntered into my local Bank of Ireland and told the lady at the counter that I wanted to close my smart save account which gives 1.75% at the moment. Right now I have €23400 in the account.
She duly asked me if I minded telling her why. I said BOSI, are giving much better interest.

She duly scuttled off to bring a more senior member of staff.
I have an appointment on Friday with a guy from regional office to discuss my overall financial requirements.

PS : I also got a cup of coffee!!!!

I am 29 years with this bank. Never ever, been give a second glance in doing my business.
I'm gonna tell this guy, I want 4% and no negotiation.
I'm gonna get a little satisfaction for once.

Tks.

I would be shocked if you get it.
I moved to PTSB after 15+ years banking with BoI because fees were non-negotiable.

Here's betting they try and upsell you an equity product. Happened to me when I went in to AIB to withdraw a similar amount a few years ago when moving to Anglo. I was on my lunch break and had to kick up a stink to actually get my money there and then.

Note, from BOSI Terms and Conditions: "Maximum Initial Investment €10,000"

Yeah - "financial reviews" by tied agents are simply opportunities for them to flog you some of their products. Expect some hard selling. But enjoy the coffee and steal a few pens if you get the chance! :)

any sign of them doing foreign exchange yet? they have rolled out a few products since they launched.

Alex.

Back