Bank of Ireland free banking

Just an update on the BoI "free banking".

They seem to have changed the qualifying rules somewhat:

To automatically qualify for free transaction fees at the end of any quarter3 , you must:

Keep a minimum credit balance of €500 in your account for the full quarter, or
Make at least 3 payments from your current account using 365 phone and/or 365 online in that quarter

This offer applies from the quarter beginning 22nd May 2006.

see [broken link removed] for further details.

Can someone please clarify for me the position on overdraft fees.
I have signed to the free banking and assuming I make the requisite 3 online transactions every quarter.....
Do I have to pay the once a year 25 euro for the overdraft facility or is that part of the free banking?
If its not, then are BOI the only 'Free' bank to charge this or are the majority of them doing this.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Some banks (Ulster Bank and possibly NIB) offer overdrafts up to a certain level for 'free' as part of their banking packages. The [broken link removed]might help you decide which is the best account for you.

TRS30 said:
Just rang BOI

Will be for both. You have to have a balance of € 500 and make 3 transactions online a month.

Is been launched on 10th November

You have to ring 1890 365500 to get your account changed over.

Thats hardly free.

What Ulster, PTSB and NIB the requirement is to keep your account in credit. Also NIB has scapped referral fees and some account types are free even if there is an overdraft (I'm thinking of the easy package here).

Seems that not only is BOI late off the mark, they are not even offering a truly "free" package. Given that lots of people might not have a reason to make online transactions given the pressure for years by banks and utilities to pay everything on direct debit, I do think this is a con.

Originally Posted by TRS30
Just rang BOI

Will be for both. You have to have a balance of € 500 and make 3 transactions online a month.

I just rang BOI to confirm the above. It appears that on Aug 23 (next quarter statement date.) it will only be necessary to have had either a balance of €500 or make 3 online transactions to avail of free banking.

The current statement will show banking charges if both conditions (€500 + 3 online transactions) were not met.

Marion

Marion said:
I just rang BOI to confirm the above. It appears that on Aug 23 (next quarter statement date.) it will only be necessary to have had either a balance of €500 or make 3 online transactions to avail of free banking.

The current statement will show banking charges if both conditions (€500 + 3 online transactions) were not met.

Marion

Ehhh :p

If folks read the full thread, they will discover that was pointed out 2 months ago by my good self, just up the page.

IrishPancake

I'll be honest, I hadn't read the thread and I was only replying to Iff12's post. As it happens my statement only arrived this morning showing charges and I wanted to clarify what has been on the airwaves for the past while.

Glad that you are on the ball. I really should pay more attention to AAM.

Marion

CCOVICH said:
Some banks (Ulster Bank and possibly NIB) offer overdrafts up to a certain level for 'free' as part of their banking packages. The [broken link removed]might help you decide which is the best account for you.
Thank you.

Back