Bank - Info passed to 3rd party

I would say it's very much a sacking offence. The manager breached his customers' confidentiality in a very serious way. The other side in the dispute has absolutely no right whatsoever to look for info on 'Mary's' account, never mind be given it! The manager has messed up very, very badly. Professionally and morally. How many other times has he done this without the knowledge of other customers? Who is to say this will not happen to another customer in future. It's disgraceful, in all fairness. I would (and I'm sure others would also) be looking for heads to roll over this.

If the breach caused actual harm , then report. If not ,well maybe move on ?
The manager couldn't predict how much damage his disclosure would cause, so I don't the outcome affects the severity of his offence one way or another.
Imagine the loss was on the other foot - if this disclosure lead to identity theft and the bank was out of pocket, do you think the bank would hesitate to discipline their manager?

Will it help anyone by a sacking ?
It would remind the surviving bank staff of the importance of data protection. It would also create a promotion opportunity for a junior (and hopefully more conscientious) banker.
It's also not really the question - Mary's decision is whether and how loudly to blow the whistle. How the bank handles it's staff is the bank's prerogative.

Confidently would be one of the most important things i'd look for in a bank manager, tellers etc. I thought it was even a legal obligation? I know stuff has to be discussed internally in a bank but not to external people.
I don't think this fellew should be let away with his indiscretion.
Maybe not fired but definitely some penalty, financial preferably.
That's why i'd talk to a good solicitor before anyone else.

Back