Bank honours Direct Debit on closed Credit Card account

Also in practice DD's from credit cards cannot be cancelled in the same manner as a DD from a current account.

Also in practice DD's from credit cards cannot be cancelled in the same manner as a DD from a current account.

yes you are correct, BT Ireland (who I used to get broadband from) keep charging my credit card every 2 months for a service that is cancelled, I ring my credit car provider and they do a charge back every time, there seems to be no permanent solution, until my card expires

I tried that with AIB many years ago. DD's continued to be honoured on the old now reported stolen number. :(

This has happened to us a couple of times. Once when I was young, I was asked to participate in a charity walk for disabled children. In order for me to accompany said children they needed to check out my ID.....bank account etc. I gave the details and signed up. My only excuse is that I was 20 and these types of scams were not prevalent in Dublin at the time. In fact I had signed a direct debit mandate!!:eek: They took ten pounds out of my account. I rang the bank to query it and was informed of the DD. They said they couldn't refund the money but would cancel the DD. The following year the same amount came out of my account. This time I kicked up such a fuss at the branch that they refunded the money and cancelled the DD. Luckily, I had put the complaint in writing in the first year and had also received a reply in writing from the bank in question.

The next time was when we hired a car in Spain and paid by CC. All was well, the bill came through, but the following month there was another charge from the car hire company. We rang MBNA and stated that this was not correct. We had receipts for the car hire and the full amount was already paid. MBNA said there was nothing we could do...the car hire company had my husbands signature on the slip. It transpired that this was the deposit slip, which we thought had been torn up in front of us. We didn't have a leg to stand on apparently unless we got the Spanish police involved. We were advised that the guy in the car hire company could say he'd found damage to the car and that he never tore up the slip. Lesson learned, we always go to one of the big outfits for car hire now.

Last year Mr. LW wanted to try out BT broadband. He had to give his credit card no. All was well, he took the free trial and then cancelled. We also have our telephone account with BT. When the bills arrive, they are marked 'thank you for your payment'. We had no balance with MBNA and so when his statements came in (after checking the first few times), Mr. LW just filed them. However, when I came to do the accounts, I noticed our telephone bill was no longer being paid out of his current account.....it was being paid through MBNA!!:mad: When I checked the statement there were interest and late payment fees, which are quite hefty with MBNA. I rang them and complained but to no avail as he had given his number. We had not given permission for the card to be used in this way however. Eventually MBNA capitulated and refunded the late payment fees but would not budge on the interest. BT were quite frankly abusive about the whole thing and could not give me a satisfactory answer other than 'that's the way we operate....deal with it'! I was fuming!:mad: Mr LW got back on line and deleted his credit card details. The bill was due to BT, I have no dispute with that but how they can stop taking a direct debit out of a current account and charge it to a credit card, given as a guarantee only, is simply beyond me. The story continues.............

Back