Ballpark figure for complete change of car tyres?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there ever been a road safety complain which suggested buying premium tyres ?
There have been lots of campaigns advising speed reduction and mind that gap.
Tyre safety campaigns highlight thread depth, defective tyres and maybe age.
8 metres, if you think that's inconsequential I can't help you.

No car has ever failed it's NCT because it's owner bought the cheapest EU compliant tyres. It's not a safety issue. The main causes of longer stopping distance are speed and driver reaction time.
It's hardly an either/or issue. Driver behaviour AND vehicle safety quality (including tyres) are both significant.

It's hardly an either/or issue. Driver behaviour AND vehicle safety quality (including tyres) are both significant.
I fully agree. My point is that value versus premium tyres is not a issue. The motor insurance industry and the road safety association have no issues with any tyres that are EU compliant for road car usage.

I fully agree. My point is that value versus premium tyres is not a issue. The motor insurance industry and the road safety association have no issues with any tyres that are EU compliant for road car usage.
I don't see what point you are making, there are tests out there that show the difference in braking distances at the same speed tyre v tyre. Regardless of anything else to ignore that is foolish, if you are happy to take the risk that's fine, but that doesn't make cheap tyres any less unsafe (in relative terms)

I am happy to take the risk of driving a car.
You reckon I am foolish not to use premium tyres. The follow on to that statement is that the road safety authority and insurance industry are also foolish by not insisting on the use of premium tyres. Risk is the most important issue in insurance.
I will assess my risk level based on their criteria rather than yours.

I am happy to take the risk of driving a car.
You reckon I am foolish not to use premium tyres. The follow on to that statement is that the road safety authority and insurance industry are also foolish by not insisting on the use of premium tyres. Risk is the most important issue in insurance.
I will assess my risk level based on their criteria rather than yours.
So you believe an up to 8m longer braking distance isn't an enhanced risk to you and others safety?

I suppose you also believe that winter tyres offer no safety benefits because they aren't mandated here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back