"Bail-in" - Likely to be spread across all banks in Ireland or just troubled bank?

burmo

Hi,

In the event of a 'bail-in' what are the opinions as to the relative chances of a 'bail-in' affecting every bank in Ireland versus the troubled bank(s)?

Well if Cyprus is the bench mark, any bail-in anywhere else will affect insolvent banks only.

As in Cyprus both Bank of Cyprus and Laiki were insolvent. Bank of Cyprus is less of a basket case than Laiki and for that reason the bail-in will be less.

There are a number of smaller Cypriot banks which are solvent and are not affected by the bail-in

Post the Cyprus "bail-in", I'm trying not to panic about a PTSB term deposit just entered into (before March 28th and thus theoretically covered under the ELG).

Given that ulitmately, Cyprus backed down on taking money from depositers/deposits of less than 100k and honoured that "guarantee", what do people think would be the chance of the ELG holding on term deposits in excess of Eur100k?
If there was a "bail-in", would it be likely to hit these term deposits or would it be only deposits over 100k that weren't in term deposit accounts covered by the ELG that would be hit (my concern is that there wouldn't be any gain in that as I cannot imagine there are many cases of those accounts just sitting around waiting to be raided)?
BTW, The trying not to panic is working well !

Back