Back to Work Enterprise Allowance

Ramilo

Hi there,

Just joined and brand new to Ask About Money, so I hope I've posted in the right forum? I am out of work since taking voluntary redundancy in June of last year. I am now on Jobseekers Assistance.

I was thinking about starting up an online business. Starting off selling on eBay or Amazon, but eventually selling on my own website. I know I have to come up with a business plan, but I was wondering would this type of home based business be even considered when applying for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance or any such similar schemes? Would they just laugh at me? Are Welfare just interested in helping people starting up in more traditional forms of self-employment? I just wonder has anyone out there any experience of this?

I was signing on in the my local welfare office this morning and was taken aback by the size of the queue. I always wanted to work for myself anyway, but I don't think looking for a job is a viable option these days, as I am in my fifties.

Thank you for your help in advance.

John

A family member is nearing the end of this allowance. His business was not traditional but not an online business but I wouldn't let that put you off. He found SW very encouraging and helpful and it has been worthwhile for him. However, a word of caution: It is IMPERATIVE that it is a NEW enterprise. You can't go in and say - I've done this for a while and it's going ok so I think I can make a go of it.

Best of luck.

Back