Back to Education Grant

G

gnabl

Can anyone help. I have a masters level qualification but have been unemployed for a year or so cause i cant get a job. I have now gone back to college to do a different undergraduate degree course as i cant get a job.

Can i apply for the back to education allowance? I am currently receiving single parent and half job seekers allowance?

If i can't get these, what other financial help can i get as i assume the job seekers will be cut once i start college...or is it?

Have a look at the conditions for BTEA here:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/default.aspx

The conditions state that...

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

You are correct in saying that you will lose your half-rate jobseekers (since you'll be a fulltime student), but you can keep your one parent family payment.

You could check if you qualify for any of the other education supports that have recently been introduced (you'll see them listed on the page I linked to above).

Edit:You mention that you've been unemployed for about a year - it's possible that your half-rate jobseeker's is shortly going to run out anyway, as it only lasts for 1 year (312 days). You can check that at the office where you sign on.

Last edited:
Have a look at the conditions for BTEA here:
The conditions state that...

You will not get BTEA if you already have a postgraduate qualification.

I don't believe it!

I have recently applied for a post-graduate programme.

The HEA & BETA have both said I am not entitled to any grant, because my post-graduate is done on a part-time basis.

So, I took this on the chin & said I will try & fund this course myself this year.

Should I not get work after my post-graduate course I had planned to either travel or go back & do an under-graduate course again.

Now I find out that if I do this post-graduate course this year, I won't be allowed get a BETA for a future under-graduate course!!!

What should I do now, everywhere I turn, I seem to be striking a block wall. Why oh why are post-graduates prevented from continuing their studies in another course, prevented from getting funding, thus preventing them from further educating themselves.

Back