Avoid Virgin Media - their customer service is appalling

I cancelled my contract because I was moving. I gave them the required notice. They then harassed me for an early return of the equipment. Finally they sent me a further bill and proceeded to take the money from my account even though I had given back the equipment and was no longer getting a service from them. I am trying to get this money refunded for the last month to no avail even though they acknowledge that it was a systems error. I cannot understand how it is okay for them to take mony and then not be able to refund it within a reasonable amount of time.
I agree worst service ever, they have avoided crediting 4 months discount since March last year. tried calling 5 times over 2 and a half hours and got disconnected every time. I must speak to the loyalty department so they can get me to sign up for another 12 months. They agree they owe us the refund if only I can call the loyalty department. Worst ever service

Absolutely terrible organisation. Brilliant broadband, but the lack of any cop on is a massive turn off. Finally kicked them to touch when I decided to get rid of tv as rarely watch it now. They failed to tell me that they wouldn't be bundling my remaining broadband and phone and started charging me more than I had previously being paying. Eir aren't much better than them. Or at all, really.

I wouldn't use UPC/Virgin if they paid me.
The product is fine but the customer service is dire.
I spent a total of 14 hours on hold with them over a 3 week period trying to get an issue sorted.
In the end I moved to Sky.
They have to opposite problem; superb customer service (best I've ever experienced) but their broadband used Eir lines so if there is a problem it's KN Services who fix it and they are rubbish. The way it works is you call Sky about Broadband. They log the fault and contact BT Ireland. They contact Eir(com) and they then contact KN. Basically Sky outsource their reputation to a bunch of Muppet and have to process in place to confirm that the issue is resolved. It's a shoddy business practice and it's surprising that an otherwise well run company would allow themselves to be put in that position by such a weak supply chain.

They are still better that UPC/Virgin though.

Eir aren't much better than them. Or at all, really.
Agreed. Their engineers have a crappy attitude and a general lack of pride in their work. They do just about enough but generally wreck the place doing it. Low skills and a bad attitude. I wouldn't use them either, even if it was free.

I spoke earlier of a problem that I was having with Virgin Media that took 3 months to resolve. I always pay for my TV a year in advance.
Last year my problem was eventually sorted with an apology and a "credit" added to my account.
I have now received my invoice for 2017 and I am being asked to pay a "Late payment charge" of €12.50 in respect of the delay in last years payment.
This is despite the fact that it was Virgin Media that caused last year's problem. Also, considering that I pay my annual fee a year in advance I am wondering how I can be charged a late payment fee for a service that I am paying for in advance.

One other point. My annual payment falls due for payment on the 4th January. The invoice is issued on the 21st December but I only receive this on the 29th December. It's the same every year. It seems to take them over a week to get their post out.
It's almost as if they are trying to create a "late payment" situation plus added fee by doing this.

One of the most annoying companies that I have to do business with.

My annual payment falls due for payment on the 4th January. The invoice is issued on the 21st December but I only receive this on the 29th December. It's the same every year. It seems to take them over a week to get their post out.

Is it not possible to pay it by direct debit?

I know some people don't like direct debits, but if so, they should not moan about late payments. Anything with a manual involvement has much greater scope for errors.

Brendan

If I had paid by direct debit last year I would have been charged for a room connection charge that I had cancelled earlier. It took nearly 3 months to sort out last year's invoice. Endless phone calls as well as messenging them through boards.ie.

If I was on their DD system they would have automatically taken the €12.50 late payment charge this year.

With some companies it is better to see their invoice in advance.

The best way to vote dissatisfaction of a company providing a paid service to you is to disassociate yourself from the company .... just give Virgin Media up .... simples

I've had relatively little complaint about UPC/VM over several years, including contract changes. They've been pushing prices up for the last three years and I finally decided that their TV service wasn't worth it, given you can get 95% of it for free by other means. Cancelled the TV contract, went back to just broadband and phone starting next week, on which I negotiated a discount in spite of getting the speed doubled. Their Phillipines call centre was a tad hard to understand but not intolerable, and it took a few back and forths with the reps on boards.ie to get a confirmation of the agreement by email. But it's all worked out fine so far and, let's face it, most broadband in Ireland doesn't come within an ass's roar of VMs speed and reliability (in spite of some glitches in December). I also managed to cut the VM cable with a hedge trimmer last month, reported it at 6 pm, had someone out by 10 am who fixed it free of charge in spite of it being completely my fault. All in all I find their service is verging on acceptable (which is a commendation in this day and age) and their product is great.

I have now received my invoice for 2017 and I am being asked to pay a "Late payment charge" of €12.50 in respect of the delay in last years payment.

I cannot understand how you are being asked to pay a Late Payment Fee if you are paying them a year in advance? They have your money for a year before they even provide any service. They should be paying you a discount.

Back