Irish Life Health Aviva renewals- caveat emptor new co-payments on their health insurance policies!

i switched from vhi plan B to aviva last year because my premium went from 900 to 1200.i got aviva level 2 hospital for 940 and hey presto,after one year they now want 1180 euros.i don't have the time nor the patience to go sifting through all the terms and conditions bull***t and am thinking of just kicking this private health insurance scam to touch.these people are sitting in offices all day every day plotting schemes to blind customers with science e.g. avivas groundbreaking new "co-payment" idea.i have been a private health care subscriber since 1998 and i would receive same benefits as i would if i had been a member for only last 2 years.i haven't claimed a red cent from any of them in that entire time.i am 46 year old single male.

agreed the amount of plans in bamboozling and only there to confuse the average customer like me. it reminds me of when I worked for an american HMO that had copayments and deductables as common place. it seems to be moving this way. I note that Laya now have a new plan called Aspire that gives you full cover for the Beacon and the sports clinic in dublin which seems good value but will no doubt probably double in price when you go to renew it next year....

Well I finally got the letter from Aviva to say they'd paid out on my behalf. One week in Mount Carmel (semi-private room, private hospital) 13,003 plus the 2k shortfall which MTC waived. Radiology (pre- and post-op x-rays) 84, pathology 31.73, anaesthetist 598 and surgeon 1176. Total paid by Aviva 14,892.73 - that's more than 11 years premiums!

I switched to Laya earlier this year from Aviva. My new plan was supposed to be identical re benefits. However, I've just had major surgery, and Laya would only pay the (lower) cost of the procedure to be done in the private hospital, rather than the (still privately charged) higher cost in the associated public hospital. This had implications for my treatment options, as the surgeon was concerned that I might need ICU after op, and had it not been for the generous covering of extra costs by SVPH themselves, things could have been very critical, perhaps resulting in an emergency operation via A&E.
If you're not too concerned about possibility of requiring scheduled surgery, all else is like for like with Aviva Level 2 Hospital, or was at time of renewal/switch in May. My plan is Healthwise Plus (no excess), by the way. You won't find it advertised, you have to ask for it. If still available, it is significantly cheaper than any other comparable option.

Back